So Tanker Yankers......No facial hair????

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by FreezingHot32, Feb 15, 2021.

1. FreezingHot32

FreezingHot32 Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2018
    Upstate SC
    Hey im process of finding a company to start my new journey in Tankers, just got off the phone with QC and she brought up the fact of no facial hairo_O.....Is this the only way with all companies pulling tanks??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    At KAG you needed to shave during orientation and training but then if you weren't going somewhere that requires a mask then they didn't care. For the mask to have a good seal you need to be clean shaven.

4. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    when I did dry bulk ,no such policy.

liquid , if HAZ-MAT, yes.

mitrucker and FreezingHot32 Thank this.
  5. FreezingHot32

FreezingHot32 Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2018
    Upstate SC
    I was looking at KAG in my area, how do you like it over there?

6. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Some companies require clean shaven drivers. I think it started when they started making their employees shave and the union pointed out that they let truckers in that were not clean shaven.

Respiratory protection seals best when shaved. I worked with a guy who was part of his local emergency squad. He always told the guys who didn't want to shave how many cardiac patients they lost on the way to the hospital as their facial hair makes the O2 mask and the 'bag' used to force air into the lungs ineffective.

Doesn't matter to me, my wife's girlfriends all commented on how much younger I looked after shaving for a job interview and I stopped growing and kept on shaving.....

FreezingHot32 Thanks this.
  7. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Most chemical/hazmat companies requre it, sometimes just because the customers require it.

Foodgrade, generally facial hair okay, might have to wear a beard net at some customers. They provide them.

The respirator seal issue cited above is generally the reason.

FreezingHot32 Thanks this.
  8. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Check with Gulf states intermodal, QC bought them several years ago, I worked 5 years with a beard, they don’t care, I didn’t have a pump, though some did, i had a compressor & I did some air off loads, most was customer unload

austinmike and FreezingHot32 Thank this.
  9. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    We allow facial hair but if going into a facility w a face hair policy...off it comes. Most of the time w a cheap disposable razor and cold water in a less than pristine men's room.

Smut, Crude Truckin', wis bang and 3 others Thank this.
  10. GoldDot40

GoldDot40 Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Athens, GA
    No law of having facial hair when pulling tankers. Most likely a company policy for certain companies....I haven't worked for one of them yet. With my 3rd employer pulling a fuel tanker and have never been told I needed to shave.

bentstrider83 and FreezingHot32 Thank this.
  11. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    The boss and several drivers have huge lumberjack beards over at my tanker outfit. My boss would scoff at a facial hair policy along with several other silly things the trucking industry tends to gripe about. I love it

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.