So what did you do before getting into trucking?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by tommymonza, Jan 5, 2015.

1. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Joined the Marines at age 18, served 3 years 9 months and 2 days active duty. Went in to boot camp without a plan or MOS (military occupational specialty) and let them decide where to place me based on my test scores lol, they made me a Motor Transport Driver. Squared away enough to driver for a Lt Col, our battalion commander for 11 months then returned to the motor pool. The one star general needed a driver and nobody else in the motor pool was squared away enough or were always shaking in their boots around the generals and high ranking officers coming and going out of the offices. So I was TAD up there for my final 8 months.I would clean and vacuum the general's office and bathroom every morning, pick up the dry cleaning and hang it in his closet, warm up his computer, turn on the TV news and set out 3 daily newspapers in his sitting area, sometimes had to go over tothe Navy Base Norfolk VA to pick him up in Officer Country to bring him to the office. etc, and highlight all the message (tons of fleet messages I would have to pick up early in the morning from the message center), anyway one of the messages pertained to certain marines who joined between such and such a date were eligible to exit 90 days early I was part of that group. Made copies of the message for my records and started the ball rolling on getting out early.

The female hottie Sergeant who worked inthe 3 star's office hated me because I served with her husband over in Okinawa Japan a couple years prior and she knew that I knew (but I never said) that he was fooling around on her over there.He and I would hang out at the bars and reminisce about the good ole days. She tried to crock block me from getting out early and I got a private meeting with her boss, the Master Sergeant about the reasons she was sabotaging me. He pulled her in a private meeting and after that she left me alone.

Got out the Marines and joined the Piledrivers Union Local 34 out of Oakland CA, proud current Old Timer now, 25 years.

Got into trucking in 2010, construction just fell apart in California. There was high hope of the High Speed Rail deal but looks like nobody wants to pay for it.

powerhousescott Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flipflops

Flipflops Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    At 18 I started my career in a Medical Field, on finish 2 years to become a doctor, I realized it wasn't all I expected, and I let it go. High loans for school, got me into trucking, and not caring about someone else's life under my supervision.

4. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    General farm work from a young age till about 18. Worked as a network admins assistant, which ammounted to keeping roughly 3000 machines functional and communicating (that were speced poorly for the job they were doing). That was for a year. Went back to school and worked as a real estate inspector. Dropped out the semester I was going to graduate, to start truck driving school.
    Driving cured my depression and I've been happy ever since. Even dragging reefer I still have a smile on my face lol.

Also there was the 3 crappy bands that lasted about a few weeks each. And the 4th that was going well that lasted 4,months.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.