So, what's it like living in a truck?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by crimedoc96, Feb 13, 2013.

1. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I run a daycab, but sometimes they push till we are out of hours. Then they stick us in a hotel. Kinda nice on one hand... But at the same time, we have to bobtail out, check in, find our rooms. Burns up a good hour all together. Then bobtail back to the terminal to figure out if you are leaving or not. I would trade my daycab for a sleeper any day. Amnesties of a hotel are nice, but I report to work, and not to be on a vacation. Aside, I'd like to have a place to crash every now and then when waiting on trailers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Sums it up perfectly

LoudOne Thanks this.
  4. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    I don't spend too much time in my sleeper, but when I do its great. I like my bed better in the truck then I do at home.

5. JIMROY

JIMROY Medium Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    ESCONDIDO CALIFORNIA
    Think sleeping on a camp cot size bed in your bedroom closet if its no bigger than a very small walk in or just a standard size bedroom closet. A 60 walkin is just that 60" deep and the width of the cab of the truck more or less.

6. Outlaw 13

Outlaw 13 Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2010
    any highway , USA
    I remember when entering your sleeper birth meant climbing thru a window sized hole ! CabOvers you had to climb over the doghouse (engine cover) to get into it ! But , in todays trucking , the walk-in sleeper is much better ! If one wanted to know what a truck sleeper is like , then put something like couch(sofa) pads or cushions in your closet & say good night ! The only thing missing will be the noise !

7. JIMROY

Feb 15, 2013
    ESCONDIDO CALIFORNIA
    That was one thing i did like about a coe sleeper your bed was right behind your seat and you could pile stuff with in reach of you like sodas or thermos or a bucket of kfc. now with the cascadia cabs i feel like i am sitting in my fricken living room driving down the road. i miss the lid above my head when in the drivers seat.

8. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    It's got everything I could ask for except a bathroom.

overfloater Thanks this.
  9. kkubitz

kkubitz Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I'm fresh out of school and will start with a company in 2 weeks, so I don't have much frame of reference. But the first time I saw a sleeper I thought to myself, I did 3 years on an aircraft carrier sleeping in a berth that was less than half this size, I can do this.

xanomie and kerosene jockey Thank this.
  10. JIMROY

Feb 15, 2013
    ESCONDIDO CALIFORNIA
    its basically the same cept you don't have some skimmer puke yelling at you to get up and sweep down fore and aft and some dumba-- playing reville over the 1mc, no head or showers in a truck and you gotta go into a resturant for chow or cook it yourself in the truck.

I think you will do just fine. Good luck and god speed

overfloater and xanomie Thank this.
  11. Quickfarms

Quickfarms Heavy Load Member

May 29, 2012
    Los Angeles, Ca
    How barbaric

windsmith Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.