So what's the deal with trucks driving right up on other drivers leaving no space?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Trucks66, Feb 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I also tailgate briefly in order to minimize the amount of time I spend in the left lane. Being in 68mph truck doesn't mean you're a land snail but it does mean you can't just blast around 4 wheelers. Closing the gap minimizes the amount of time you're in the hammer lane.

4 wheelers and some truckers in older trucks don't even understand how adaptive cruise works. Especially in a big truck. It will fight and scream to keep you some set distance behind the car and can't anticipate that the 4 wheeler will maintain speed up the hill, the heavy truck won't. So it will slam on the brakes on the downhill to maintain the distance only to chug up the uphill as the 4 wheeler is long gone. Sometimes tailgating downhill will give me a head start up the hill as the 4 wheeler pulls away I can try to maintain some semblance of speed.

And for those trying to preach to me how to drive, I've been driving since I was 15. I've been driving commercial for 15 years, motorcycles for 11, Class A for 2 years and in all that driving I've NEVER had a ticket or accident. So I think I'm doin' alright.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    DenBob Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    Ohh come on now, your either tailgating or spending to long in the hammer lane.

4. BrandonCDLdriver

Sep 1, 2017
    Yep trying to minimize both. All caused by a slow 4 wheeler.

adayrider Thanks this.
  5. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Is that a variant of the Platoon System when you say it fast 3 times?

shogun Thanks this.
  6. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Engine on, brain off. Seems many can't operate both at the same time.

7. Hotplate

Hotplate Medium Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    A buddy of mine who ran for Burlington Motor Carriers 20+ years ago was just like you. One day there was a jeep in front of him in the hammer lane that all of a sudden slowed up. My buddy had a short temper and he got a little mad and ran up on the jeep to "encourage" him as you say to get out of the way. Turns out the man in the jeep was having a heart attack and the guy all of a sudden stepped on his brakes. My buddy slammed right into the back of the jeep and killed that man. He did prison time, lost his house, car, and his wife left him. Burlington got hit with a huge lawsuit as well.

They're not around anymore and neither is my buddy.

8. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    I wish the big truck drivers who tailgate 4 wheelers would just think for a moment. What if that was your family in that Prius? What if there is a young mother driving with babies strapped in the back seat? I've said enough.

Meteorgray, Muddydog79 and tinytim Thank this.
  9. BrandonCDLdriver

Sep 1, 2017
    If it was my family in that Prius I'd tell the son of a ##### he needs to learn how to drive. I almost hit a ####ing Prius the other day who decided that entering the interstate from an off ramp at 5mph was a good idea. And yes, it's not a typo. OFF RAMP.

If a young mother is risking the life of her kids impeding traffic she should lose her license. Because if you're going slow enough for my slow ### to tailgate you you're going to be tailgated by most 4 wheelers on the road.

I don't tailgate ALL people driving slowly. Only those going like 1mph under my speed, the ones that cause my #### adaptive cruise to go nuts. If I can coax them up 1mph then I don't have to either sit back and let my truck fight them the entire time or try to pass them which would take forever. If they're doing like 65 and me 68 the amount of time I spend near them is counted in the seconds then I swing out.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  10. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    Wow, just wow. This is sad. I only hope that your luck doesn't run out.

Brettj3876 and scottied67 Thank this.
  11. BrandonCDLdriver

Sep 1, 2017
    Well I've been driving for 25 years and don't have an accident or ticket. Can you say that about yourself? I've done it with a bear passing me in the hammer lane and he had no issues with it so maybe your definition of tailgating and mine are two different distances.

I say tailgating is under 200 feet which I don't care to stay in that zone long at all.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.