Solo o/os. Do the rates suck? What's your contingency plan?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TallJoe, Jan 16, 2022.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    That was always my backstop. I figured if I tried and failed, I could always walk back in to ODFL and be welcomed with open arms and assigned a new number, - no not 56803 - but a newer, more updated number.

As the years progressed, no matter how many different ways I sliced the numbers, could I ever justify the return to a company truck. I will if I have to, but it would be with much aggravation internally.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Shut em down!!!

JoeyJunk, cke, wore out and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The rates are what they should be. When they drop, I’m not going backwards. I’ll cash out first. As far as parts are concerned, I can always find what’s needed for my Truck. Any scenario. There’s Trucks available. There’s parts in the junk yard if needed. Mine has a lot of good parts if wrecked. I can come up with a decent Truck, at a decent cost. Trailer scarcity is my concern. My plan was to buy a new dry van last year. Feb 2020, could have gotten one for $34k. The good rates will go away just as fast as they came. Easy money is about to dry up. Home prices are topping out, interest rates going up. One glitch and things change. I don’t want any equipment debt, that can’t be sold for the balance owed.

5. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    It is not only about not having enough savings or living without income for a few months. It is more about not being able to revive your business, even if you have money saved because you could not find immediate equipment replacement. If my truck and trailer are stolen, I can't just go to Arrow Trucks Sales and buy another one...unless some junk for $130K.

shooter19802003, cke, wore out and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Not to sound trite, but being a small business owner has always been about risk vs. reward.
    For me, it was more about headache vs. reward. Or to put it another way, is the money worth the aggravation?
    As it turns out, it wasn't, and I happily landed on the best time in my career to peddle a used (750k) tractor.

86scotty, cke, wore out and 3 others Thank this.
  7. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    A determined and disciplined individual will always find a way to recover and revive after a catastrophic loss.

8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Easier said than done.
    I guess, only in the event of such a crisis happening, we only can judge how the individual determined and disciplined was.
    Well, at least I know that it is something on my mind...

Badmon, Opus and wore out Thank this.
  9. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    There is no crisis unless it's one's health. Equipment can be replaced. Might not be the ideal pieces but tractors and trailers are still everywhere. I never said it would be easy but ultimately where there is a will there is a way.

10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    like my father used to say, "They may shoot ya, but they ain't gonna eat ya...."
    Good luck @TallJoe

11. bumper Jack

bumper Jack Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2021
    I was here in 2007-8 and I’ll be here for the next down turn. It’s coming it’s just a matter of when.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.