Some numbers for new O/O

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by DUNE-T, Aug 23, 2018.

1. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I see people telling me I’m no.1 fairly often.

jochnessmonster Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Unless you’re pulling the same wagon and running the same lane and driving the same truck as someone else. I don’t see how you could accurately compare numbers.

4. jochnessmonster

jochnessmonster Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Why are we comparing..it’s conversation forum

5. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    They didn't go out of business. The Gordon family sold to Heartland for 300+ million, then sold their Freightliner dealership a year later. They're all living high on the hog.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  6. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Then they were one of the other group - the ones that know how to abuse one company to inflate the worth of another.

I wonder if Heartland ever figured out that the Gordon's abused their truck dealership to make the bottom line of their trucking company look more profitable than it was?

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  7. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I think maverick dose the same thing still to this day? They own the Freightliner dealer in there parking lot I think? Nothing wrong with leveraging buying power?

8. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Two reasons.
    1: If you screw up and give to much info that invites 123457890000 oo's, carriers, and brokers to come in and under cut you.
    2: if you are consistently making good money you get 12346678900000 oo's that have zero negotiating skills or market knowledge to know when they are in a position of strength to get good rates, call you a liar.

rollin coal and Ruthless Thank this.
  9. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    There may be nothing illegal about it, but if your employees at the Freightliner dealership are held to the standards of sales figures of other Freightliner dealerships, while they are also supplying at, or below, cost trucks to another business you are going to have disgruntled employees.

The trucking company, with its artificial advantage from the sacrifice of the Freightliner dealership, could easily adopt bad or inefficient processes that a normal company would not be able to offer.

Now, as truckers, we would likely be happy to work for a trucking company that is artificially supported by the sacrifice of a truck dealership, but what about the dealership employees? What about the investors that might later buy the trucking company, thinking it is highly profitable, when, without the dealership to provide cheap trucks, it is not?

These problems are not insurmountable. However, it is very easy to either overlook the consequences of abusing one company to support another, or lose track of exactly how good or bad each company is *actually* performing.

It takes diligent bookkeeping and careful analysis to synergize two companies without creating either victims or wastrels. Some larger companies have the accounting staff and expertise to do it, but most moderate to small companies do not.

10. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    Heartland didn’t buy Gordon because of their trucks. They bought their customers

11. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    No. They bought their business. And that includes both their customer base as well as their other assets and expenses, like trucks, employees, proprietary software, business practices, and real estate.

Nobody in trucking just buys a list of customers. At least nobody that stays in business.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.