Some numbers for new O/O

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by DUNE-T, Aug 23, 2018.

1. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I don't think anybody claimed 40-50% discount, I know I didn't. I started with Gordon driving a 2013 Cascadia. With the way it was spec'd out and the very basic interior, that truck would have retailed for around 100k in 2013. Figure if Gordon bought 200 at a time with a 20% discount that's $80k each. Run them for three years and then sell them at their own dealership for around $60k. That's how they did things for many years.

Bean Jr. and KB3MMX Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Why do many people come on this site looking for free handouts?

4. jochnessmonster

jochnessmonster Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Jesus, who forged the signature on your high school deploma? This is a forum, dude. People come here to exchange useful information, tips and tricks to HELP one another with things.

Blue jeans and Cdubb Thank this.
  5. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

So post your numbers?

SL3406, Bean Jr., KB3MMX and 2 others Thank this.
  6. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    They are not called black helicopters anymore. They are called drones or UAV- unmanned aerial vehicle

Coffey, KB3MMX and jochnessmonster Thank this.
  7. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

27B1A012-D71C-4143-8974-8FC2FF3786EC.jpeg

Post your numbers- this is a FORUM dude.

Coffey, HoneyBadger67, KB3MMX and 4 others Thank this.
  8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I worked at a company that did just that and really prospered. They'd buy up a small 30-50 trucks operation every 3 years or so. They'd keep the book of business and retain some drivers, then sell all of the other companies equipment and property. It was just another way they grew their business. Nationwide Express out of Shelbyville, TN been in business since 1981 and still trucking strong. I saw them buy at least 3 other trucking companies like that in my 11 years there and they never kept any of the equipment, they were only interested in the customers.

9. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I am not saying that a customer base is not valuable, but it is rare for that to be the only reason a company is bought.

Most companies turn over all their trucks every few years anyway. Selling off some properties is also common, if there are two yards close together, why keep them both?

You said that some drivers were maintained. Solid, multi-year drivers are valuable assets, even if they are not owned assets.

Crete has bought several companies over the years. Sunflower, Shaffer, Hunt. From what I have pieced together, the company retained useful yard facilities, drivers, and some office staff from every purchase.

I think that is a more typical example of how trucking companies merge.

It is DANGEROUS to buy a company with the expectation that you can count on retaining all of that company's customers beyond the end of the current service contract. There should be some other reason to buy, something more concrete than contracts that might not get renewed.

10. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    To think otherwise is counter-intuitive. Does it make any sense that someone buying 1,000 trucks at a time will pay the same as a guy buying 1 truck?

The manufacturers compete for their business, so the prices will be much mor competitive than what you will pay.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    The price I said was when trucks were much cheaper, so the discount was closer to about 20%, which is close to what one would expect the value to depreciate in 2 to 3 years.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.