Soon to be CDL grad in Houston considering Crete?

Discussion in 'Crete' started by MYSTYKRACER, Nov 11, 2019.

1. MYSTYKRACER

MYSTYKRACER Medium Load Member

May 30, 2019
    I'm in Houston, TX and will be completing CDL school at Houston Community College ( which is on the Crete approved schools list ) next month. I'm considering Crete but would like to know if anyone can give some specifics on these jobs posted for the Houston area:

Home weekly, Texas Dedicated Dry Van Driving Job – Houston, TX

Home weekly, Midsouth Dedicated Dry Van Driving Job – Houston, TX

Home weekly, Midsouth Dedicated Dry Van Driving Job – Pasadena, TX

Obviously I'm looking for something regional out of the Houston area that has weekend home time. Thanks for any insight!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MYSTYKRACER

May 30, 2019
    Called and talked to a recruiter about these positions. They are Georgia-Pacific dedicated runs home weekly out Sunday afternoon, back Friday evening.

The TX dedicated basically runs a 350 mi radius of Dallas delivering to different sites in TX and pays .53cpm after 6 most averaging 2200 mi/wk.

The mid-south dedicated runs TX, LA, MS and OK pays 46 cpm and averages 2600 mi/wk after 6 mos.

The first 6 months as a new driver after 8 wks w/ a trainer pays .41 cpm.

So if anyone has any insight on these dedicated routes or working Georgia-Pacific dedicated in general I'd like to hear what it's really like?

4. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Alot of people like Crete it'll be a good place to start. Be sure to really check those regional gigs sometimes you'll sign up and they will say we will put you on a the list for a regional job once one opens . I always say just expect otr your first year , but sometimes people find something without a year

Farmerbob1 and MYSTYKRACER Thank this.
  5. MYSTYKRACER

May 30, 2019
    Yeah, ultimately I'm trying to get into tankers but it seems most of the tanker companies won't hire you w/ out 1 - 2 years experience. So if I have to do a year or so of dry van or reefer I figure the easiest way for a noob to break in would be on a stable dedicated account but I get even that could be a waiting game. Crete in general sounds like a good place to start though.

6. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    China will be in shortly I'm sure to tell you about tanker opportunity Texas is a good spot

7. newbietrucker91

newbietrucker91 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    Your in Houston which is a huge tanker area! Schneider will train you but I also heard superior will train you if you graduated from one of their approved schools.

8. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I do Georgia Pacific dedicated for J Rayl Transport out of our Sunnyvale (Dallas) terminal, it’s pretty easy work, taking loads from the GP distribution center in Hutchins to various customers (Costco and Sam’s Club and others all over Texas) picking up live loads of paper recycling for the GP paper mill in Muskogee, OK, and taking loads from there to retailer distribution centers (Target, Dollar General, Walmart, etc) in Texas, Oklahoma, and up around Kansas City. A lot of live loads/unloads. I’m on salary, so I’m happy with the money, not so sure I’d be as happy with cpm, as I’m often running fewer than 400 miles a day.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.