Speed limiter comment period extended until July 18th

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TheLoadOut, May 26, 2022.

1. MrNA

MrNA Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2022
    Not a good idea at all. Some states allow 70, 75, 80 mph and others max at 55 or 65. A national limit imposes on states rights or would intra state trucks be exempt.

Dont give uo the fight ever. By the sounds of the question there is a Manufacturer engrossed in profit snd false narratives...and all the $$kickbacks down the line. Like most things folks, it is truly not about safety or concern but about $$$. The root of all evil.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    We have a member here called @rolls canardly .

Cattleman84, Vampire, Bean Jr. and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    Huh?
    Oh; yeah, speed limiters.
    No thanks; I'm good.

You wanna do something, make it a guillotine offense
    to be in hammer lane more than 2 miles.
    Guillotine twice if you drive slower than traffic flow in left lane.
    MOVE OVER, YOU RAT BAST***!!!!

Thanx for playing.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    Siinman, Oxbow, Cattleman84 and 3 others Thank this.
  6. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    So go to the questions listed previously and drop down to 12. That's me. I'm a 26000 G.V.W FL Rollback.
    That stupid idea could get someone killed.
    There are times and sets of circumstances not within your control,
    that you may NEED a boost of power or speed
    to "avoid," (static objects,)
    or "evade" moving objects, (Bicycle, horse, Cement mixer,)
    so to stop performance in any way is just dangerous to the driver.
    Don't they see that?
    I saw a video of a Jeep with the worst death wobble I ever saw.
    I want to speed up and pass.
    W/Governor - you stay in the danger zone unnecessarily.
    If that came apart at 70 someone dies, badly.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  7. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    I wonder how many drivers will hang it up and say done if the speed is too low. I doubt it would be a massive number, but certainly some will. I’m on the fence if I’ll take another driving job, limit me to 62 and the decision is made for me.

8. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    I'd like to keep this thread and any other regarding this issue alive and current since there are 38 days remaining in the comment period. If you haven't spoken up yet about this please do, it will only take you a few minutes. Friends and family can even speak up, this will effect everybody. New drivers and new members of TTR that may not be aware of this need to take action.

There is a petition started by TTR member @Bret1984, it can be found here: Sign the Petition

To write your Senators: U.S. Senate: Contacting U.S. Senators

And the FMCSA comment section: Regulations.gov

This is what life will be like if we don't speak up!

9. Keepforgettingmypassword

Keepforgettingmypassword Heavy Load Member

Jan 11, 2022
    Amen

10. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    I am totally against it some of my trucks will run near triple digits and some are roughly 65. It can be awfully nice to step up the pace sometimes and if there’s going to be a ecm based limiter which would be the most realistic who pays for the programming and what about trucks that don’t have ecms… no one will answer these questions and I think I know why. And why don’t they go after light vehicles I feel like they do much more reckless speeding than heavy trucks while they’re at it maybe they should limit them to 85hp
    I don’t want any of this but why can’t we get answers

11. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Buttplug buttieg or whatever his name doesn't care about safety. It's absurd to see them waive hos rules when they need baby formula etc but after plandemic is over we're forced to fit into same old shoe. FMCSA should focus on 4 wheelers to help with safety

Vampire and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  12. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Just like ELD we'll get speed limiters. They've decided so it's a when not if proposition at this point.

Here's some random thoughts on unintended consequences speed limiters might have.

Canadian truckers where they already have this are saying that it creates a convoy of trucks where no one can pass and 4 wheelers cut off trucks to get to off/on ramps.

Hub to hub has been setup for the current speed limits. Some routes will no longer be possible.

Slower delivery times will backlog the system requiring more trucks in order to get things done. More trucks needed but where are they all going to park?

Local trucks will be affected too. A local driver may only put 300 miles a day on their truck but they are still bound by HOS rules. So a 45min slow down could easily cost the company deliveries.

Companies with their own drivers will need more trucks to do the same volume of work. But since the work hasn't doubled there's less work per truck in their fleet. Think of it this way. If the truck has 16 stops but can only do 12 now because of speed limiters the company will need another truck to get those other 4 deliveries done. So less overall work per driver. In this case it'll take 4 trucks to do what 3 trucks could do before so a 25% reduction in work per driver and a increase in delivery cost to the company.

If the speed limit was set to 55 mph then areas that currently have 80 mph speed limits will see a 30% drop in speed.

Driver frustration will increase while pay for cpm drivers will decrease, significantly. Not good since it's hard to entice new drivers now as driver pay and treatment now stand.

What are some real world consequences that y'all can see happening that a desk jockey in DOT won't even think about?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
    Bean Jr., W923, Siinman and 2 others Thank this.
  13. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Yeah government forces their bs on people but let's you submit your "thoughts ' as if they're listening to your concerns

Bean Jr., TheLoadOut and Vampire Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs