SQUEALING NOISE 2016 Pete 579 MX-13

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by MockOverdrive, Jan 20, 2024.

1. MockOverdrive

MockOverdrive Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2019
    Hi, I have a 2016 Pete 579 MX-13 automatic transmission about 660k miles making this terrible squealing noise that only occurs while driving and 1) accelerating hard, 2) going up hills, 3) jake braking down hills. When parked it can Rev up high and make zero squealing noise and runs great.

What I've tried but hasn't worked: New Serpentine belt, New a/c compressor & clutch. Water Pump and fan clutch are less than 1 year old. I ran my hand over the tensioners but they seem to roll smooth, straight, and quiet.

Suspecting possibilities causing squealing: turbocharger leak? power steering pump? (but doesn't squeal when turning) bad egr? exhaust manifold leak? blown head gasket? automatic transmission?

Here is what it sounds like https://m.youtube.com/shorts/T2fzOdiqRJA
    Thanks in advance for any insight

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'd start with the intake system. Check every single rubber boot and pipe from the turbo outlet to the intake manifold. Maybe get the ATA pressure tested.

Check the exhaust system for leaks, usually leaks that make noise will be between the head and the turbo but check the whole system. Should be easy to see a leak, it'll leave soot trails. EGR system could be another possible culprit. I'm not at all familiar with the MX but again, look for soot trails or evidence that gasses are escaping.

4. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    I’d say check air to air.
    or these pulleys are bad about weird noises on paccar

MockOverdrive, Oxbow and JB7 Thank this.
  5. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    Tensioner gets weak over time and the belt will squeal under load. Does not matter that the bearing in the tensioner is good and rolls smooth. With the truck running see if the tensioner is moving such as vibrating, it should be steady, if not it is bad. Check what AModelCat states in post #2.

6. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Yup this crap right here has happened about 3 times in my rig tensioner or a roller rolls smooth but is so worn out it starts to squeel.

Also may be worth checking the EGR valve. If its clogged in the tube it can get stuck partially open and makes that wonderful sound as well and if left for a while can cause the spindle to snap off requireing a new one...which has happened twice in my rig so far lol.

Finally another place ive had make that noise is the inlet pipe to the SCR. That seal can go bad and begin to leak especially if the filter is begining to plug and causeing a lot of extra pressure. Wont throw a check engine either until its about to blow.

Otherwise amodel covered everything. Oh as an after thought, check this tensioner in particular. It is the bane of my bloody existance. I had a streek of 8 of these go bad in a month due to poor manufactureing causeing them to just die on me and it tends to fail every 100k miles or so on MY engine, even though thr factory one went to 600k. Worth looking at anyway.

20220305_074535.jpg 20220305_082449.jpg 20220305_082422.jpg 20220305_082425.jpg

Attached Files:

MockOverdrive and JB7 Thank this.
  7. Mr.Silky

Mr.Silky Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Crossville, TN
    The tensioner pivot is a POS. The idler bearing is fine but alignment gets off. But AModelCat is dead on for my MX13 (2016), pivot shaft on EGR valve got egg shaped and would whistle under boost. After all repairs, one of the charge air boots would squeal and finally sealed up after a day or so. Stay at it.

MockOverdrive and JB7 Thank this.
  8. MockOverdrive

MockOverdrive Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2019
    Boots definitely looked worn out. Could see white canvas on some. Just ordered 4 new ones from Amazon. I'll look out for any soot trails and clean the egr.

Didn't realize it was possible to unbolt fan without tilting radiator, that would have made replacing a/c compressor so much easier.

Yeah I was wondering about that. Makes sense that higher rpm could could change the dynamics of the tensioners. I'm going to replace it for sure.

Wow! 8? Got any recommendations on where to buy the tensioner? I'm definitely going to clean the egr because I threw a def relay code a couple days ago. Anything Def related terrifies me after spending $8k on it last year. Where is the SCR seal located? and do you have a part number for it by any chance? Thanks
    Thanks for the insight! Were you able to repair the pivot shaft? Or did you have to buy a new EGR valve? Love the cat in your pic, I too truck with cats wish I had one in my engine bay though instead of this graphite, plastic, paccar moneypit-13 :)

9. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    The scr seal is where the pipe goes into the back of the SCR. I dont have a part number handy sadly its on my repair paperwork sitting in its box back home. But just have pete do an exhaust leak test. If its bad you will see soot or it will ROYALLY fail a spray test. As for the tensioner just get the paccar one from them directly. It usually ends up lasting to 100k. The knock off ones are poorly built garbage.

But dont take ANYTHING on my truck as "normal" anyone here can confirm if there is such a thing as a cursed truck. I have it in spades lol. Also if you are doing an EGR clean have them do a full clean on the emissions system, and have them pull the pipes and run a brush through them where they can. It costs a lot more but soot likes to collect in those elbows. If you EGR is shot have them make sure its the new style one and if not upgrade to it. The old style on the epa 13 engines was pretty unreliable and caused issues since some moron decided that using pressure fitted mild steel spindles know to heat up and deform letting the flap basically spin freely was a GREAT idea.

MockOverdrive Thanks this.
  10. Mr.Silky

Mr.Silky Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Crossville, TN
    I bought a OEM Paccar replacement EGR valve, pricey but I don’t like doing things twice. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the valve except the pivot bores It appears to be silver brazed together and hard to disassemble While I had it apart I put on a PDI exhaust manifold and am quite pleased with the result. It doesn’t have any more power but definitely has more grunt and considering what a weak motor it is, that’s an improvement for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2024
    MockOverdrive Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.