Started w/ C-1 (Ft Wayne) on 9/13/10

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by goodchoice10, Sep 16, 2010.

1. goodchoice10

goodchoice10 Heavy Load Member

Aug 31, 2010
    The Buckeye
    NOTE: At the starting point of this thread I have been in school for 4 days!

New to trucking and # 42 a career change is just what the doctor ordered! Went thru D.S. and arrived # C1 9/13/2010. This thread is to de-bunkify some "myths" that have been reported as factual on this site as well as others and to maybe give some insight to prospective candidates.

The hotel where you stay is in Ft Wayne, called the Hallmark Inn. It's a 1 star place located about 9/10 of a mile from the school. Two things about the place, one it's clean and two it's free! Hot shower, CA TV,place to study at night. Don't forget what you came here for and get hung up on the accomidations because you will get your feelings hurt. It's the training, not the lodging!

The training........the first day is hectic. Forms, physical, UA....lots of hurry up and wait. But the instructor gives you a black binder with the study information in it required to get the most important thing, THE INDIANA CDL PERMIT! Start reading, immediately. Three areas you have to pass a written test on thru the BMV. (1) General knowledge (50 question test) (2) Combination Vehicles (20 question test) (3) Air Brakes (25 question test) in addition outta state residents have to take the Indiana Operators test. We started on Monday (9/13) and tested with the BMV Wednesday morning (9/15). It's not easy, but not impossible. Nine out of the 24 people in my class passed all (4) parts, the rest (including myself) failed one or more parts and required re-testing 9/16. I passed today and have my permit, however, several others still have parts to re-take on 9/17 because they did not pass and will continue to take the written test each day till they have their CDL permit. The classroom instruction is a little to be desired but a good effort on the part of the student will allow you to succeed. Basically, read and read some more!

The other areas of the classroom training are informative but just give you the basics. The goal is simple. Get the CDL permit so you can go to the driving range on Monday (the 2nd week) and start driving so you can prepare for the CDL road test and get the license, hopefully within the 2nd or 3rd day of the 3rd week.

As I progress next week I will post a bit more regarding my progress and where the class as a whole is in the training! Hopefully it will help!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mikos

Mikos Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Parkersburg WV
    Keep us updated. I would like all your info. I would like to go there. Will be going there soon. Are you going with USA, or PAM? How deep is the Physical?

4. goodchoice10

Aug 31, 2010
    The Buckeye
    I will update this as I get a little further into the "range" portion of the training, which I will start 9/20/10. Your post states you would like to go "there", then you state you will be going "there" soon. So it leaves me in the dark or confused, but o.k.... I am going with USA, from what I am gathering from others in my class PAM is accepting teams only right now and I want to be solo. The physical is pretty basic....eye exam, UA (direct observed) dexterity test, hearing test. Nothing too major from my experience. I had no problem passing any of it. However, (2) people in my class were dismissed because (1) had high blood sugar, the other had high blood pressure that was not medically controlled. That's all I know about the physical.

5. Mikos

Mikos Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Parkersburg WV
    Yes I would Like to go there sorry. I am looking into it. Reading on people post about going there. How they did. If they made it or not. I have some time to ponder this, but am leaning to Driver Solutions.

6. goodchoice10

Aug 31, 2010
    The Buckeye
    I'm sorry to have not kept up with this post as I had intended to. It's been an interesting journey, so I will catch up by touching the high points and filling in the details should there be questions.

Finished school # C-1, 5 days in class, 5 days on the range. Over the fence first time, BANG! CDL in hand, back to the Buckeye! (Im sure the people # C-1 are glad to see the students get it first time, increases their profit margin!)

Originally scheduled for orientation # USA 10/4/10, however, due to some things # the house I delayed that until 12/6/10. Orientation was in Vandalia, OH. (4) days of orientation, out with (3) different trainers over the course of 13 training days, time in there for Christmas, done with the 175 hrs and started upgrade in Van Buren AR 1/9/11. Finished 1/13 out on my own. As of this writing I just finished my 90 day probationary period of being "on my own".

So what did I learn?

C-1 Training: knowing what i know now I would not do C-1 again. It is not worth the money because the training is inadequate, plain and simple. Its just enough to get the CDL and yes thats the point, however, for the money and the 1-year contract it is not worth it. People reading this looking for advice on C-1 will not listen thinking that it will be different for them, it will not but you know, each to their own.

USA Orientation, OTR Training & Upgrade: For me it was quick and painless. My time was brief in the OTR training as I had (3) different trainers, all veteran drivers who let me drive to get my hours. It helped that I ran a dedicated route from OH to CA and back (3) times so it don't take long to burn up the hours. I was able to handle the truck with minimal instruction, what I took away from the experience was the process USA uses to dispatch loads and how the dispatcher/fleet manager interacts with the drivers. My instructors were good people, yet I do not keep in contact with them now. Why? It was a business relationship, not a mutual friendship. Of course the wished me well and me them, but the fact is they have students come and go all the time. Don't go into training thinking the trainer is your buddy because chances are they will not be, that way you wont get your feelings hurt. Also, disregard their logging instructions. I had (3) different trainers tell me (3) different ways to log my time and all of them were wrong. During the upgrade phase the logging department will set you straight on how to log your time. Then once you start driving on your own, you will figure out how to maximize your time. Over all the OTR training was good.

Ugrade Training: Very informative. It brought all together the information that had been "thrown" at me while OTR. One thing I found was that I was a quick upgrade, meaning that everyone in my upgrade class (there were 17 total) had been on the road for 3-4 weeks longer than me. From talking to them I learned that their trainers did not allow them to drive as much as I was able to. Why? Don't know, everyone's story is different and in trucking they can be as long as the truck. All I know is that when you leave initial orientation you receive an ID badge with the date you finished orientation and mine was 3-4 weeks "younger" than everyone else I was with. The Upgrade training included testing in (3) areas: Written test (50 questions), driving test (on the road w/ an instructor) and a backing test (timed). All of which are easily enough to pass if you pay attention. My scores were 100%, 98%, 100% (48 seconds). When you finish upgrade, on the final day the truck assignments come out. How they determine that is beyond me. I think it is luck of the draw. Again, dont get your hopes up. I ended up with a 2007 9400 with 434K that had been left # a dealership in St louis for several months. Rough is not a good word for how I found it. Nevertheless I cleaned it up and have put 30k on it with no trouble.

So I go out on the road for the past 90+ days on my own. How is it? Its a challenge but anything worth having is. Some days I can just choke the shi& outta night/weekend dispatch, otherdays I could kiss them. Eb & flow, you just have to learn to find your nitch. From what I have gathered, the assignment of your fleet manager can be critical to your success or failure. I have a good FM and I say that with some time now behind me as well as some situations where the true character of a person comes out. Other drivers I have met do not have the same fortune. Here's an interesting fact: Several of the people I attended C-1 with came to USA and and been gone now for quite some time. Same goes for the Orientation/Upgrade class. People come and go here in short order. Various reasons, but you will have to determine those on your own as each of us has a different experience even though we may be in the same place.

What do I say is the key here?

Good communication. Sometimes it may seem as though no one is listening yet keep communicating. Don't ever stop. And do it via the Qualcom.

Be Proactive. When your 10 hr brk is up, get gone! Thats to say, get movin to your delivery or pickup. I am getting miles because I do this everyday. I see other drivers who complain about miles yet they "drag their feet" because the due date is (3) days from now so they take (3) days. Sleep when you should be sleeping. Scale your load and fuel in the same spot. You will figure out things like that as you go.

Be on time, evertime! Mechanical failure, weather or an accident should be your only excuse, ever!

And most importantly, to me at least: Don't loose sight of the big picture. My fleet manager told me my first couple of days, "in a few months you will find this easier and easier because you will figure out things and get into your groove". He is right. Certainly I don't know alot about this business, but I do know about life and life is work and so is trucking. Don't forget this is a job, not a sight seeing adventure. Sure there are times when you can cut loose for a few hours, just remember, in trucking we live our lives in hours, not days!

About the company USA Truck. People talk alot of crap about this place and believe me it can easily suck you in and you will find yourself being negative, loosing sight of the big picture. BTW: What is the Big Picture???? MAKING LOOT, and LOTS OF IT!! Not at first, why should you? Its an entry level job. Just remember that every person carves their spot and fills the hole with light. No one can make your experience here or anywhere bad unless you allow it. Thats the fact. Some USA drivers will disagree but thats how I see it. This is a job, there is money here. What are you willing to do to get it? Its a hard job, but it does get easier! Good luck :biggrin_25521:

7. goodchoice10

Aug 31, 2010
    The Buckeye
    Today was a challenge. Completed a d/h # 530 this morning after coming off a 34 hr. Fresh hrs, ready to go, sittin on 2250 for the week w/ 2 days to run. Received load of 275 miles that delivers 4/18 # 0130. Problem was, bad brake chamber on the trailer. Waited for a road mechanic to show up, it took (8) hours, fixed the brakes but was unable to fix the tralier lights. I hustled the trailer to a T/A before dark, they fixed the lights but I ran outta hours. I cant leave until 0430 in the morning, delivery at 0130, 150 miles to go. Even the best plans go to smash at times. Mechanical failure is out of our control sometimes! Trucking......

8. Thomas0810

Thomas0810 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2007
    BlueRidge Texas
    sounds like my day yesterday,lol.ran a load down here to Campbells in Napoleon was told it was a d/h by 1500.arrived at 1100am yesterday was told it was live unload and no one was there to unload.went back this morning at 0430 the lady said 2nd shift would unload it about 9am.told her my situation about being stuck on this 367 mile run since yesterday at 11am so she unloaded me.ended up with 2496 miles so far this week just goes to show you there are good people out here if you talk to them with respect things will work out in the drivers favor sometimes

9. goodchoice10

Aug 31, 2010
    The Buckeye
    monday turned out to be like sunday.....crappy trailer. what can u do? a bad day truckin still is better than a good day plumbing.....

10. Thomas0810

Thomas0810 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2007
    BlueRidge Texas
    yes sir it sure is!

11. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I can understand that, LOL! BTW, can you guys do me, and the others driving Cascadias and Peterbilts, a huge favor?

When dropping trailers, it seems a lot of the trainers are telling their students to extend the landing gear until they hear the air bags releasing. Big problem with that: a lot of these guys are still driving the 9400i's, which have the 5th wheel quite a bit higher than the other models we use. As a result, I've backed under trailers on a couple of occasions just to have the kingpin sail right over to the other side of the 5th wheel (I've started carrying a couple of 2x4 boards in the truck just because of that).

Obviously, the trainers who are teaching this are wrong. The landing gear should be cranked only until the feet just touch the ground; any more than that and you run the risk of having the kingpin too high for the next driver (who may be driving a different model). You probably already know all this, but it seems that a lot of the drivers don't.

ProfessorJohn and notezbngrn71 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.