Starting cdl school swift as first job

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Drpparker95, May 19, 2017.

1. Drpparker95

Drpparker95 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Meridian mississippi
    Im in meridian Mississippi a good 7 hours from Memphis

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 3523

3523 Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2015
    The new trucks have inverters. Mines a "17" Freightliner and came with an 1800 watt inverter factory installed.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    We can't back worth a !@#$ ?
    Speak for yourself.
    Just today I got a thumbs up from a yard dog after backing my mt into a slightly tight spot.
    (Although, the next Swift driver had much more trouble getting it in. He came in just after me, and I'm pretty sure I was out the front gate before he got it backed in. In his favor, he was getting out to look very often.)

But that is really up to the driver, and not on Swift.
    It is the drivers responsibility to learn how to back properly. And once solo, even more.
    And believe me, it took a lot more time than I spent in training to learn much of it - and it wasn't the fault of my trainer or the training or with Swift. But it took a few years.
    2 months of training at any company can not possibly prepare you for everything that will come your way.
    I never had an underground dock in a cave when I was in training, or many other stressful situations that have come my way since.

Other than that though, your post is right on.
    I get home when I want to, they don't bother me about trivial stuff, and I find the staff at most terminals (even the ECT people these days) are very supportive to the drivers. I seldom feel like just another number.

Lepton1 and Smut Thank this.
  6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Mine as well, and I love it.

I've heard that some shops will install an even larger inverter upon request.
    1800 is fine for me, though. I only need about 1000W at any given time.

7. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    Where you live and where your "home" terminal is aren't necessarily in close proximity . You'll probably be assigned to the Memphis terminal simply because Decatur, GA (Atlanta) and Lancaster, TX (Dallas) are further away; your home terminal is simply where your company support staff are located.

Even living in Meridian you can ask to be reassigned to any terminal in the country. An advantage of being that far from your terminal is you'll be allowed to take your truck home for your hometime.

Swift is a good company to start with and you might be surprised, to stay with. You'll get great training at the Swift Academy to get your CDL and the same with your OTR training with your mentor IF YOU MAKE THE EFFORT. Go in with the attitude that you want to learn and preserve that attitude the entire time you drive a truck and you'll do fine.

Ignore the trolls other than their entertainment value. Most have never driven for Swift and have no first-hand knowledge. Best luck to you.

Frank

3523, Lepton1 and Smut Thank this.
  8. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Can't go forward either lol

Moosetek13 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. Drpparker95

Jan 2, 2017
    Meridian mississippi
    Ok so just one more thing. Since theres no terminal close by and i cant park the truck in my yard and i have no one to pick me up when on hometime what would you suggest

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. Smut

Smut Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2017
    Houston
    I was just saying what some people think about swift.

11. Smut

Smut Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2017
    Houston
    What I do is drop my trailer off at a truck stop and bobtail home. There is a Flying J that lets me park it and I just throw my king pin lock on it. They should let you bobtail from home from the load getting you home.

12. Drpparker95

Jan 2, 2017
    Meridian mississippi
    Can't park truck in my yard

13. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    There's enough truck stops in and around Meridian, you should be able to find one that will let you park. As long as you're not dropping a trailer, most truck stop don't mind if your park for few days. Just check with them first.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs