Starting out for rookies

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MACK E-6, Jan 18, 2007.

1. tna

tna Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Dalton, GA
    been looking on this forum and havent seen anythin on how a driver gets paid. what is the process? does the company have to get paid by the receiverr first before the driver gets paid? just want to knw what to expect when it all begins.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Henry123

Henry123 Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Cheyenne,Wyoming
    I had a question I was thinking of going to work for werner I haven't been in a truck for 12 years. I know I have to get recertified but what my question was does anyone know how long I have to go OTR with a trainer at werner. And do they pay pretty good. I also have my wife and little dog I would like to take with me when I get in my own truck.

4. crucifyme

crucifyme Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2011
    it might be easier to get a job flying the space shuttle..then to get a local job out of truck driving school..they all want at least 1 years experience..i look at it this way either you can drive the truck or you cant...simple as black and white.. i know its not for everybody..i got this cdl with all the endorsements...means nothing cant get my foot in the door..its the same old story...they didnt just give me this cdl i earned it and the testing in these parts are tough..give the man a driving test and see how he does..between the csa scoring, and most companies will drop you if you get a ticket..whats the problem...from my experience when i went with a bfc the experience drivers were the ones pushing the limits..the newer drivers were more cautious and courteous on the road it doesn't make sense..i dont see truck driving as rocket science

5. dgman

dgman Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Disagree 100% crucifyme. When I got my CDL in a school a while back I went straight to local. Then later on I switched to another local company for benefits. Never went otr, never will. It can be done. You just have to put in the legwork finding the places that will take you. I guess I should get in line for the space shuttle, huh. Cool, I can't wait.

Mommas_money_maker Thanks this.
  6. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    And when you have this kind of attitude you wonder why?

7. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    As a company driver you will get paid on dispatched miles. So for instance lets say you will make .33 cents per mile and you get a dispatch that has you driving 1000 miles. You will make 330 bucks for that trip. You send in or scan your paperwork for that trip and then your company pays you. Simple as that. When they pay you is however they are setup. It could be once or twice a week or once every two weeks or every trip.

If you are a O/O leased to a company (like I am) then I complete a trip, scan in paperwork and get paid for that trip same day or within 24 hrs.

Does this help?

AfterShock Thanks this.
  8. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    The name of the game in Big truck truckin' is
    Hurry-Up and Wait, DGMan.
    I remind you of this as I report disappointing news concerning the
    Space Shuttle, --- and the line leading to it.

First of all, said line(s) has/have been relocated from the launch pad in Florida to several other, more convenient, locations where they're housed as static displays in museums, --- often directly across the wide isle from the future site reserved for Big truck truckin' and the Big truck truck drivers who drove 'em.
    But it's always prudent to acquire directions that have been positively confirmed prior to launch, ...... uhhh, I mean headin' for a consignee, ........ errrr, .... that is, ..... the museum's location.

It's pretty much a straight shot for the Space Shuttle.
    No interchanges or exits to watch for, no state lines to cross or DOT writin' y'all up for a burned out tail light bulb.
    But you wanna talk gettin' lost?
    HoooBoY!
    Space is the place where that's easy.
    Fortunately there's plenty of space in space to turn around.

But, .................... I digress.
    I musta spaced out thar fer a minute.

I'm not sure the line you can't wait to get into still goes to the same place, ....... or if the line is longer, shorter or about the same. Figuring some who're in line just want to look and maybe touch one of man's greatest achievements, --- a reusable space truck with rocket power, --- I'd imagine your chances would be good, ..... if
    NASA's Space Program is ever resurrected. Your chances of stepping right into a brand new Space Shuttle should be excellent.

However, if over-the-road doesn't look attractive to you, I question your impatience to go out-in-space, --- unless it's the feeling of weightlessness and/or the uniforms provided for your survival.
    If that's the case, hang lose, ..... Big truck truckin' is already headed in that direction as you read what I've typed, ....... for "safety reasons", it's claimed. And, as an incentive for Big truck truck drivers to observe "safety", their pay has remained stagnant, or been reduced significantly.

That bein' said, I must apologize for digressin', ...... again.
    My bad.
    But it was good funnin' with you.
    I hope you don't mind. :biggrin_25525:

9. crucifyme

crucifyme Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2011
    :biggrin_25519:funny..

10. janais82

janais82 Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Hartford, CT
    I;m starting my own car transport business in Connecticut with my brother. I have a cab & chassis dually and a 3-4 car hauler tri-axle. First of all, we are trying to figure out if we will be able to stay under 26k with the equipment we have. I'm totally confused with the G.V.W and the G.V.W.R...how do these work? Which one do i have to pay attention to? second, what type of plates do I need? apportioned? commercial? combination? whats IRP?...etc.
    Boy i hope someone could help me with this!!!:biggrin_25513:

11. sfw

sfw Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Webter, Mass.
    I need some advice. I drive locally for a distribution company in central Mass. I make half way decent money and I'm home daily.But I have a somewhat strong dsire to go otr. Am I nuts?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.