Starting out with CRST this week!

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by wawander, Oct 12, 2021.

1. wawander

wawander Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2021
    Washington
    I’m starting with CRST and attending training near Denver this week. I’ve got the CDL handbook to study. Any advice from the old dogs or from women who are used to living on the road, tricks of the trade?

Thanks,
    Delaney

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Start thinking about where you want to be as a professional driver in 3 years.

4. N00bLaLoosh

N00bLaLoosh Road Train Member

May 13, 2021
    Novi, MI
    Smooth jazz is your friend.

bryan21384, truckdriver31 and wawander Thank this.
  5. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    GOAL

Get Out And Look.

Always.

Saves you time and prevents you from becoming a meme on here.

also don’t stress out because someone’s waiting for You to back into your spot. Lots of drivers stress out and it causes them issues. A trucker will come out and help guide you a steering wheel holder will honk.

6. wawander

wawander Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2021
    Washington
    I promise I will always GOAL :) Thank you good advice!

7. wawander

wawander Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2021
    Washington
    McLane or bull hauling

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  8. wawander

wawander Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2021
    Washington
    Smooooooth margaritassss

9. N00bLaLoosh

N00bLaLoosh Road Train Member

May 13, 2021
    Novi, MI
    Uh...neither?

wawander, truckdriver31 and Lonesome Thank this.
  10. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Put in the minimum time required at CRST, then move along.

11. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    I got my start at CWW in Keenesburg also. Thank you for your service. The handbook is o.k. The apps are EXCELLENT. HUNDREDS of questions and correct answers. I used this one (they have an Android version too) . You can prep for the test any time you have a few minutes to spare. The Greyhound trip into Denver will give you lots of time to drill. Greyhound has a two-pronged 120v outlet (the same kind your house has) so bring an appropriate connector to charge your devices. I was the last one in my class to be seated to take the test at the DMV, the first one to finish and I got the highest score in my class! Never read the manual, just drilled on the app. About 85% of the questions and answers on the DMV test were word for word what they were on the app.

It gets cold in central Colorado. Make sure you have gloves, warm boots, wool socks and a waterproof hat. There's A LOT of standing around outdoors at truck school. You spend very little time in the classroom - one of several vacant buildings on main street in a small town that has seen better days. You'll spend most of your time outdoors in a dirt lot adjacent to the owner's home.

When you graduate from CWW they'll drive you to the Denver airport to pick up a rental car. They usually send several students per car, but you may get lucky and get your own. You then get to drive to OKC for orientation.

You'll want internet when you're on a truck. I use Visible. $40/mo for unlimited, unthrottled, uncapped internet anywhere you can get a Verizon signal (Visible is 100% owned by Verizon). You're allowed to link one device to your phone to use the internet connection with either a cable or with bluetooth. I use the Xfinity app on my iPad to use it as a TV on the road. I get all the channels and movies I would on my home cable. Alternatively, you can use Pluto TV or other apps to watch free TV.

There's A LOT to learn. Hard to cover everything a new driver needs to know in one post. Glad to answer any questions though.

DaniMae, Lonesome, N00bLaLoosh and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.