Starting soon with SNI. Tips/Warnings?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kirby2023, Dec 9, 2023.

1. Kirby2023

Kirby2023 Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2023
    Kansas
    As title states, I am getting my CDL permit this weekend. Recruiter told me they could have me in school a week later then on to their team driving setup for 4 weeks. During which I'll make 10$/hr but for 80 hours a week. Afterwards he said I'm looking at 5000-6000 miles with an average of 1500$ a week.

When going through other posts and reviewing the company on Glassdoor and sites similar, I found that is unlikely to be the case.

Can anyone who is or has worked with Schneider tell me what to expect or what to look out for? Maybe a few tips on how to stand out in a good way. Or if I should pay for the CDL school myself and good with someone else. I got a family to look after so this position is very important to me. I am in Manhattan, Kansas.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Watch out for the orange Kool aid.

Schneider is one of the better starter companies there is. They are focus on safety

4. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Best of luck to you. Keep us updated.

austinmike Thanks this.
  5. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
  6. dave01282000

dave01282000 Medium Load Member

Jun 16, 2021
    Ohio
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You can do much better pay wise. That SNI pay seems really exaggerated and @lual can verify that. You have a family to support, so you need to make good money from the get-go.
    You're in a good location, so lots to choose from.
    Is the SNI job a team job or solo job after training?

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Sysco - Topeka, KS
    Probably has a drop yard or relay yard in Topeka.

Sysco is probably the best paying in your area for new cdl school graduates. Lots of physical labor to keep you in good shape. Some of those drivers make $80G to $100G a year.
    CDL school tuition reimbursement,
    New cdl school graduates are welcome.
    For information on Sysco's Benefits, please visit Sysco Benefits
    • Comprehensive healthcare benefits.
    • Generous retirement benefits.
    • Employee discount programs.
    • Service recognition and employee rewards.
    • Discounts on Sysco stock (SYY).
    • Work uniforms provided.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    This one is a team job and hires Manhattan, KS drivers. You're paid milage pay whether you're driving on in the sleeper berth and the teammate is driving. If the truck is moving you get paid. @TravR1 can verify the pay he made running teams.
    [​IMG]
    Highest Team Driver Pay in the Nation!
    Get Paid for your Experience with
    Our LTL Linehaul Division

• .60 - .80 CPM Split depending on experience
    • Avg 5,200 miles per week
    • Dock to dock - NO TOUCH FREIGHT
    • Newer model equipment each year
    • Medical Insurance - we've got you covered
    • Dental Insurance
    • 401K retirement plan
    • Paid Training so you can Always Grow with Us
    Have a Class-A CDL but no recent Exp? Ask about our 9 day Refresher Course

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
    austinmike and Kirby2023 Thank this.
  11. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Understand that....for the time being....it simply IS NOT a "driver's market" out there -- especially for drivers with little or no experience.

No one really knows at this point how soon this problem will evaporate.

Because of this issue -- many carriers that normally take students right out of CDL school -- now want 3 to 6 months experience (& sometimes even more).

Thus -- true beginning opportunities for the time being....are much fewer & farther apart.

Yes, I started out with Schneider -- but I got my CDL privately (using grants & scholarships), at a nearby tech school. Then I applied for jobs ONLY AFTER I had that CDL in hand. When I started with Schneider -- I did not do teams. So I have no first-hand knowledge of what getting a CDL there is like -- or team driving with another rookie driver (who I really didn't know previously) afterwards.

To squeeze the most money/profit out of a truck as possible -- many carriers are now pushing more for teams (& apparently -- that would also include Schneider).

If you get a CDL privately -- thru a tech school or comm college -- you won't feel like you are being fed all that material via a firehose. Also -- upon graduation -- you are not contractually obligated to any carrier, for anything. Thus -- you graduate out to a truly level playing field.

I would submit -- with all due respect -- that team driving is tough enough when you drive with someone you already know. But a total stranger? I can only recommend such if maybe both drivers are former military, and served well while on active duty.

Otherwise -- if your Schneider recruiter can't find something else for you to do, as a solo driver -- I (personally) would look elsewhere.

It's likely that other carriers will visit your class -- if you attend to a nearby tech school or comm college for your CDL. Talk to them about solo driver opportunities for rookie drivers.

If you attend a nearby school -- choose a CDL curriculum that is rated for AT LEAST 160 hours. Also -- look for one that will teach & test you out on manual transmissions.

That way -- you graduate without an "automatic transmission restriction" on your license. This will maximize later opportunities for you.

Local CDL jobs that have you home daily in many cases either will now require previous experience -- will work you into an early grave -- or both. CHOSE LOCAL AREA JOBS VERY CAREFULLY. :confused: o_O

Also -- to make yourself as attractive as possible vs other rookie drivers -- upon graduation, go ahead & get ALL the relevant CDL endorsements: tanker, hazmat...& doubles/triples.

Those CDL endorsements are future door-openers...& money-makers!!! :Transportation cost :Transportation cost :Transportation cost

-- L

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.