Starting with Roehl in February

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by RoseWild, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Fatmando

Fatmando Medium Load Member

May 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Contracts are for folks who know that you aren't going to be happy with them. Cell companies do this when they want to trap customers; if they really thought that they could keep customers on the quality of their service, they wouldn't need to lock you in for two years.

Trucking companies play a similar game. Most new drivers getting their license through the carrier are already broke, and their credit is already terrible. If you don't like working for the carrier, quit, and let them try to collect. The worst that they can do is ruin the no-credit that you have. You might be able to leave, and pay for the training with what you make at your next employer, but don't stress about it. They get what they get - if they're lucky. If they want good value for their training, then treating you right should not end with your driving test.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gntorres61

gntorres61 Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Plymouth NC
    Right! Do not have NYQUIL EVER ON THE TRUCK, Rose. It's as bad as having an open container of sin juice on the truck. It will shoot your BP up too. Like I mentioned earlier, I failed my first DOT because of the same situation. If you don't pass, the school/company will delay your start of school until you do. Get well soon, Rose!

RoseWild and Fatmando Thank this.
  4. RoseWild

RoseWild Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2016
    South Carolina
    Not taking anything at all except aspirin. I don't want to risk it. It's essential that I start in time to finish my training before my daughter's wedding in February. Otherwise I won't be starting training until after her wedding.

5. RoseWild

Oct 14, 2016
    South Carolina
    WooHoo!!! I only missed three out of fifty questions on last practice CDL test!
    Screenshot_20161025-110442.png

KF7WTV, bigred81 and gntorres61 Thank this.
  6. gntorres61

gntorres61 Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Plymouth NC
    AWESOME, BLOSSOM!!

RoseWild Thanks this.
  7. RoseWild

Oct 14, 2016
    South Carolina
    Thanks, George! I've also been practicing double clutching... but that's sort of like playing the air guitar. I'm probably grinding air gears and dont even know it LOL.

KF7WTV Thanks this.
  8. radioshark

radioshark Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2012
    So if you personally hire someone to work for you to and promise to train them I.e.to get there A&P license(aircraft maintenance) and as soon as they obtained that license they promptly quite and went to work for your competitor you would be perfectly fine with that? Training people for jobs is not cheap. So from reading this post you would not do anything to protect your investment. You can't reposse that license so your only recourse is a employment contract.

RoseWild and Picinisco Thank this.
  9. Picinisco

Picinisco Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2016
    Gilbert, AZ
    I tried this one too and scored 84%. Then I tried an Arizona one with 100 questions and failed miserably. 69%. However only just started studying and haven't got to air brakes yet. That's where all my wring answers were.

RoseWild Thanks this.
  10. RoseWild

Oct 14, 2016
    South Carolina
    I personally agree with an employment contract. Many of us can't afford CDL school outright, even if we would be reimbursed by a hiring company. The out-of-pocket expense would be too great . I known that is the case in my situation. Being that this is the best alternative for most, just breaking into this industry, its the best and most viable alternative.

Like I mentioned before, if you do your research, you should be able to reasonably select the most lucrative paid training option that fits your personal needs.

If you get into it believing you'll want to leave in a year, that may not be the best company to go with. I'm choosing a company I want to stay with for the long haul. Hopefully, I'll survive my first year, and move on to becoming a trainer with the same company that started me. There is a shortage of female trainers out there. Many females only want to train with other females. Maybe one day I'll get good enough that can do that for them. Some may think I'm jumping the gun on this. I don't think so. If you fail to plan, then plan to fail.

I'm going into this with the full understanding that anything can go wrong... yet believing I have what it takes to see it through and prove myself.

Fortitude, dedication, perseverance, and integrity are the first tools I'm putting into my training an and also on my truck.

Will I mess up? Absolutely. I hope to. It's the only way we learn what not to do. Hopefully, most of those mistakes can be corrected and can be done in the presence of a reputable trainer.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  11. RoseWild

Oct 14, 2016
    South Carolina
    Are with airbreaks on the CDL permit exam? Dang! If so, I have more studying to do!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.