States that allow on ramp parking

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by nredfor88, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Oh snap. I realized the guy I was responding to was a new driver looking for starter company advice on another thread.

Get back to me bud when you have done a load or two and tell me how you expertly handled every delay out there with trip planning.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midlife Trucker

Midlife Trucker Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Shady Dale, GA
    If the shipper or receiver takes too long, I use Personal Conveyance to get to the nearest Safe Haven. And that is NOT an entrance/exit ramp.

buddyd157, farmerjohn64, rachi and 3 others Thank this.
  4. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    In east coast paid parking works like charm especially if you know that's you won't make it by 5pm.

5. Cowboyrich

Cowboyrich Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Dayton, Washington
    As much as I disagree with on/off ramp parking, I prefer that over the ones on a 2 lane that take a wide spot on the WRONG side of the road and sit there with the headlights on!! That one ticks me of to no end.
    Next time I see it I'll get a picture, but there is 1 that's 5 miles from Dayton WA on 12 and it happens a couple times a month, confuses the hell out of people that dont know it's a wide spot and then they pull out blind!!

farmerjohn64 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
  7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Dueling banjos reach that far west...

8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Sometimes u get tired running the open road in the middle of night all the rest areas are filled and truckstop might be 100 miles away or more ... Especially if u did one of those 34s where u switch ur sleep schedule around. Nothing wrong with parking on a ramp. Done it many times will do it again. Just make sure u can get all the way off the road . Out west , just about every on ramp has a good sized dirt pullout. The plow drivers even plow the snowbanks back beyond the pullouts because they know people use it... utah is really good about having space onthe ramps, they even have signs saying to use the exit if tired ... idaho as well.. Cant speak for out east..

9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Some doofus in a white volvo left his brights on in bfe oregon in a pullout like u mentioned. Hadnt seen a car for like an hour it was maybe 230 or 3 in the morning. I couldnt figure out what i was looking at until i got right up to it. By that point i was blind

10. CosmoK12

CosmoK12 Light Load Member

May 26, 2020
    Yep, get a tire blowout with anything less than 3 hours on the clock and you’re screwed. At least in my experience. had a tire blow out in Albuquerque and waited 6 hours for service to show up.

Lite bug and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  11. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    OK. Now that I am probably out of trucking(retired). I am going to let out some state secrets here.
    In your travels, particularly in areas with sparse parking DURING THE DAY, when you see a spot that might do for an overnight 10, hit the location remember button on your GPS, make a little note. I happen to favor older industrial parks (not the new ones with mega whses that ban street parking), wide spots, which are disappearing fast and getting more dangerous, other on street parking in business zones, or street parking behind shopping centers (NOT in the parking lot)
    And these "hiding places" can be 50 miles from your target. Once you have a small collection( and add to it constantly,)refer to the resource when you get dispatched. If they have some amenities nearby such as fast food joints that is even better. Be prepared to "camp out", that is no bathroom, personal hygiene or food supply available. And DON'T leave anything there, avoid idling, in other words be a good citizen.
    You might wind up with a parking ticket on the truck, never had an officer tell me I must move. If either happens you haven't screened the spots well enough.
    These kinds of places are much easier to identify before you actually need them. Concentrate on lanes you use most frequently. I also catalog them for overnight use when I may be on a 1000 mile trip, at the 500 mile mark, I have a few I can use if truck stops are full (don't like them anyway).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.