Stay away from May Trucking

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by ATKS, Mar 12, 2019.

1. ATKS

ATKS Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2019
    This company is a joke. First they had me training for only 2 weeks with a mentor who only had 6 months driving experience. I got terminated due to my trailer sliding out and scratching another truck but it was all due to their yard conditions. Muddy and patches of ice. I was asked if I had chains on, lol yeah with patches of ice and a mud pit no I didn’t. This company does not have their drivers backs at all. They only pay cents per mile and don’t tell you when you go to a Home Depot you need to drop your loaded trailer, move empty out of the dock , put loaded in the dock, then pick up the empty again. You do not get paid for all of that. Training is totally inadequate, they try to make people mentors after only 3 months experience. So if you want to be set up to fail, then apply with them. Otherwise steer clear. (Pun totally intended) oh yeah and they’ll tell you nothing will be put on your DAC but they are nothing but liars. People are quitting every day and another thing that’s never mentioned is how May trucking is one of the top 3 companies that gets sued by drivers every single year. Good luck

alds and Rocknroller4 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JohnGER

JohnGER Light Load Member

May 5, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    You got term'd for one minor incident at a large company as a new driver?

Hmmmmm...

alds and 51.50 Thank this.
  4. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    I had a driver explain to me that the trailer "slid on the ice" and he hit a parked trailer.. the issue was that one side of the trailer was on dry ground....and a driver was standing there when he backed straight into the other trailer.... You could literally see the trailer wheels track straight into the other trailer... since these were all aluminum bulk trailers, he tore up both of them... We of course had to call the driver who had simply smashed into the trailer (damaging the one he was pulling also) that he did need to come back and report the accident he had.. three guesses what his response was?

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  5. JohnGER

JohnGER Light Load Member

May 5, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    I know from 3 months in the office helping with applications that most accident "explanations" are laughably silly.

Most drivers would be better off saying "I was hauling Jack Links and then Bigfoot ripped through my trailer to get some". At least then it would show a sense of humor and not outright dishonesty.

6. 51.50

51.50 Heavy Load Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Salem Oregon
    l agree the facilities for drivers at the terminals need improvement and if you have mutual dislike with your dispatcher they can endlessly torment you with boolchit. This is true of any employed driver position.
    l was hired by May in 2003. l noticed several trucks with an "L" after their truck number in the yard. They were leased /owner operator trucks. l spoke to many of them individually. They all owned their trucks outright and were free to go haul anywhere they chose and chose to stay with May rather than go elsewhere and start at the bottom of the seniority list. After being a driver 6 months, l took a lease purchase contract. l completed the contract on time and got clear title in my name with no delay. l then completed a second lease purchase on time and got clear title again. l know for a fact that May Trucking lives up to the contract and is fair and honest in their business dealings. l am retired since 2009 and this is my honest opinion and experience with May Trucking. l wish l had come to work for them sooner.

7. SouthernGrit

SouthernGrit Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2021
    I came across this trying to get more information on May. I am going to be finishing school in a week and May is my pre-hire in Pensacola although the recruiter is in Oregon. Is there any other companies recommended as a good starting point I could check out!

8. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    May is a decent starter company. It's where I started. The pay isn't the best but you will get valuable OTR driving experience all over the country. You will be doing a lot of winter driving in the mountains in the PNW . The have freightliners and almost all are less than three years old.. Shops and mechanics are cool and get u moving pretty quick. My main complaint was the pay and seemed the last year I was there I was sitting a day frequently between loads. Pensacola is a good terminal to run out of..

9. itzgynormus

itzgynormus Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2021
    Sorry....button probs ....anyways..if you aren't able to drive a truck with confidence after 2 weeks, you honestly shouldn't be in one to begin with.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  10. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada
    You got two weeks of training, and still hit a parked unit. OP trucking isn't for you, maybe take up crocheting instead. Anytime that you hit anything stationary, it is 100% your fault. If I had been the boss there, I to would have fired you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.