Steps selling a truck and trailer

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SteveScott, Oct 20, 2021.

1. GraniteRiver

GraniteRiver Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2018
    What were the miles on the truck if you dont mind, I was thinking of throwing up one of our 2021 Volvo 860's with a new 2022 Great Dane dry van to see what someone would actually pay for it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eldiablo

Eldiablo Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2016
    Unless things have changed the bank will get their money back. I got paid and seen it’s was more than it should be so I called and told HR and they said we will fix it. They did alright. They took the whole check out of my account without permission and there was nothing I could do. I had to wait 2-3 days, I forget now, to get my paycheck. I tried to stop it but the bank said nope not going to happen. You will have to move the money to another bank somewhere to try and stop them from taking it back.

4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Paychecks are done with what's called an ACH transaction, and they can be reversed. A bank wire transaction usually can't be reversed, at least not easily without all parties agreeing to the reversal before it's done.

Siinman, Eldiablo and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  5. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    It has 246,000 miles on the truck and trailer.

I've come to find out that the guy buying my truck is with a truck dealer, and he's getting the financing for a client and probably getting a nice commission. The guy who ends up with the truck will probably pay as much as I paid new for both 3 years ago. As it is, I'm selling them both for about 90% of what I paid new.

Eldiablo and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  6. GraniteRiver

Apr 22, 2018
    Thanks for the info. Its been very tempting to just sell it all at these prices and see what happens in a year or two.

SteveScott and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  7. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I normally try and stay away from non cash deals but the couple I’ve done where they needed financing, I required a down payment such as you did and a time limit. Say 30 days then the money is forfeited. It helps them to take things a little more serious. ;)

SteveScott Thanks this.
  8. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    I hear that. Just think if prices go to 250k for a new truck and 150k for a new reefer trailer. (Brand new used since all are spoken for, for over the next year and much longer)

SteveScott Thanks this.
  9. GraniteRiver

Apr 22, 2018
    The prices are nuts, and seems like it's only going to get worse as long as the freight volumes stay up and this garbage economy doesn't implode. Im going to list a 2020 860 and new trailer for $250k and see if anyone calls lol.

86scotty and SteveScott Thank this.
  10. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    Guarantee they will. Hey Steve give the 5k back and up the price!!! :)

SteveScott Thanks this.
  11. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    I'm normally the same way, but this guy was quick with a deposit, and assured me it would be done in a week. They expect to have me paid by Friday, so I'll be happy if that happens.

True, but imagine what would have to happen to freight rates if trucks and trailers got that expensive. That might push small fleets and many O/O's right out of the industry. Large fleets would continue to get huge volume discounts. Maybe refurbishing used trucks will become a new and lucrative industry. Could work as long as you could get parts.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.