Still trying to decide on company for new driver

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Meadow, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Meadow

Meadow Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2018
    Older woman here was going to try to do this in the spring thinking learning on good roads not icy ones would be better but can't wait that long and need to start ASAP.

Because I'm older, was thinking I want to learn on dry van no touch freight although not sure if that means no forklift or pallet jack as well which I would have no problem operating. I just can't see myself doing back breaking hand stacking freight at this point in my life.

I am in Florida but can also work out of St. Louis since I have family in both places. Home time is not as problematic for me as for others at the moment. Would like to have the option of having a woman trainer and non smoker if possible. I will need company paid CDL training and would like newer equipment as well. Any suggestions would be helpful I'm going nuts trying to find one that fits.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JLMooreKCMO

JLMooreKCMO Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2007
    LTI out of St Louis has alot of older women working for them. But they are Reefer.

4. snowmantrucking101

snowmantrucking101 Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Florida Beauty Supply hires newbies.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Honestly, reefer or dry van would be the same now a days. Most companies would rather pay a lumper service to unload instead of making the driver do it because it's cheaper in the long run compared to workers comp insrance rate increases due to a driver hurting themselves. Lumper fees are a tax deduction, and many times unload fees are included in the shipping charges whether they need a lumper or not.

6. Meadow

Meadow Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2018
    that a joke?

IluvCATS and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. Av8torcrj

Av8torcrj Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Schneider has a nice training facility in Edwardsville, just outside St. Louis. I can recommend them as a starter organization that will never press you to do anything illegal or unsafe and will welcome you as a more mature driver. I've been here over a year, solo dry van, and have never had to touch a single piece of freight.

8. Last Time Around

Last Time Around Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    snowmantrucking101 and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No joke; regional Florida runs with Florida Beauty Express driving refrigerated box trucks. They also have teams running California. Remember ?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Online Transport in Indiana has cdl school and pays you $75 a day while in classroom training. Lodging provided also.

11. snowmantrucking101

snowmantrucking101 Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Nope, don't know why you said that? it's an actual company in Florida that hires newbies.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.