Strangest thing you've run over or almost ran over

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by 201, Nov 14, 2019.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    This person whose driver ran over something and the fuel leak, got me to thinking. What's the strangest NON-LIVING, thing you've run over or almost ran over. Once a driveshaft was laying crossways in the right lane. Got by it on the shoulder, that would have hurt, once a guy I was running with, hit a freakin' battery with his left steer tire. A chunk took out tank valve, we shut the crossover valve off, stuffed a rag in the hole with a screwdriver, and got out of there. But the all time winner for me, when I had my bread route, cabover Frightliner, 'round this time of year, going south on I-39 just south of Stevens Point, Wis. around midnight, nobody on the road, some guy passes me in a pickup, hammer down LOADED with Christmas trees( some may know where this is going) He had plywood standing up so they could get more on, and trees on top of the cab, I swear they had some on the hood. Ok, they goes off into the night, about 10 minutes down the road, I see 4 ways on, so I slow down, drop a few gears, move over, out of the blackness, this moron, waving his arms, lost his load of trees , I mean they were all over, no where to go. I ran over a bunch, I could feel them in the steering wheel hit the axle. Naturally, I too was worried about the crossover, but aside from some branches, it was ok. I never told the boss about that, if there was damage, it would have been considered a "preventable"..
    What's your crazy story, again, no blood and guts, please.

Blue jeans, D.Tibbitt and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    I drove over my own driveshaft for the liquid pump. It fell off, hit the trailer's airtank, broke off hose connection, bent fender where it dug into tire... I was lucky it didn't hit another vehicle, though.

D.Tibbitt and 201 Thank this.
  4. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Someone hauling a paving machine without the seat bolted down. Came off the machine, i went left, went right, a couple of times before i managed to hit it. Took out the bumper, right steer, right fuel tank, and front drives.

5. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Almost hit a container that was sitting under a bridge on the road. No chassis just the can in the dark. WTF

Clipped a inflated spare tire in town. That sucker went sailing across the street hit a building and here it comes back at ya hitting the second trailer. Felt like I was in a pinball game.

This one time. Oh heck a driver could write a book on what hes seen from the windshield.

Blue jeans, 86scotty, bzinger and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Dodged a bunch of adult Rainbow Trout one time on #6 hwy in northern Manitoba.
    Started seeing dead fish laying on the road, a good number of them, was confused for a while.
    Figured they were being transported to a stocked lake and the tanker driver left the top hatches open and the fish were jumping out.

One night I was on a 2 lane road and started seeing dead pigs in the east bound lane that looked like they had exploded, went on for about 40 miles, saw 6 or 8 of them.
    Slow down for this small town, get to the railway tracks on the west side and theres this big pile of meat laying in the eastbound lane and the last of the pig carcasses.
    Seems a livestock hauler crossed the tracks, the gate came down, a bunch of hogs fell out the back of the trailer at the rail crossing and every few miles another one jumped out.
    Sure hope he found out before he lost the rest of the load.

Back in my yoot....., when I worked for Pepsi on a country route, one of our stops was a little town called Narcisse MB which is famous for it's Garter Snake dens.

So...., I'm driving along and I see a shiny patch on the road ahead and wonder what this is all about.
    As I get closer it looks like the highway is moving and suddenly I realize it's snakes crossing the road and the road is shiny because of all the dead snakes and when I hit the brakes to avoid killing a lot of them the wheels locked up and and the engine stalled, like sliding on grease.
    The Government has since installed culverts under the highway so the snakes can cross safely.

201 Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    One time Detroit using a pile of traffic cones in a very short distance had closed the Interstate in the downtown area.

I found myself with no place to put the truck excepting a sloped three to five feet concrete buttress for one of the ramps that had a steep rise to the streets above. At the speed I was at and with this surprise closer and surrounded by concrete I picked a path and committed to it. Whatever happens.

The entire rig caught air loaded. Slammed into the ramp itself that had enough pavement to settle her down on. (More walls beyond that if i had lost my front end on that buttress with the steering and so forth)

Long story short there was damage in the fuel tanks that took the worst of it. Eventually the shop went ahead and replaced the fuel tanks and metal bands that hold them, plus the bolts that hold that. Some were failed. And the entire fuel system lines had to be replaced to and from both tanks and the engine. The front end spring and hangers were replaced the drive axles and their suspension was worked on. Trailer had pins replaced and so forth. (You would think the rails would tear off the whole tandem set...)

The freight claim never got back to me there was a one hell of a OSD on that one. So that was a mystery.

There were other run overs with a big rig but this one would be worth my life the way it situation presented that day. Not welcome. As far as the firing, preventables etc. None of that. They just made the repairs and gave the tractor back to me and off i went on another load after a while.

201 Thanks this.
  8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Pulled into the truck stop one night beat tired. Backed into the only spot open took me a little while to get in... well i finally got in the hole and pulled brakes got out to do my post trip and i had discovered the reminats of a condom that had been previously used under my drive tires.. I just shook my head said oh boy its one of those truck stops..made it to the other side of the truck and there was the dirty panties ... gave me a good laugh , made sure to wash the bottom of my shoes before i got back in my truck lol

InTooDeep and 201 Thank this.
  9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Yikes, skatin' on snakes. On my motorcycle, came around a curve, there like a million bugs on the road, many squashed. That was scary.

Snow Monster Thanks this.
  10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Who do you think you are, Bo Duke?

starmac and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    EW, oh well, too bad our tires aren't made of that kind of rubber,,,.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.