Strangest thing you've run over or almost ran over

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by 201, Nov 14, 2019.

1. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Back in, oh, ‘14 I think, I was just starting my night shift. I got on northbound I-5 in the Nisqually valley. It was wintertime, and it’s always pitch black in the valley. I noticed a car on the left with its four-ways on, then two cars on the right with theirs on in the distance. I grew suspicious, thinking, “What’s going on here?”, and at that very instant is when the tree in the road appeared in my headlights, and I ran over the top of it a second later. It was at least eight inches in diameter, it had fallen over in high winds and heavy rains we were having that night. As I passed the cars, I could just make out the damage to them: flat tires and broken steering linkage. I pulled over at the scales about a mile up, and another truck pulled in behind me. We both checked our trucks, didn’t see anything in particular, and moved on (I did report the incident the next morning to my manager, and he had the alignment checked).

201 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    I carry two GOJACKS on my truck, as sometimes there are tire/wheel issues that can't be fixed.
    Went to a tow, put the bed up to pick up car, and one is missing??
    On the way back to the barn I found it, run over by me - as It dropped thru the racks they are mounted on.
    Then I remembered the WTF metal sounds moment, and where I just kept driving.

201 Thanks this.
  4. TIMEWEASEL

TIMEWEASEL Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2008
    CLEVELAND, GA
    I was in heavy traffic moving at a decent speed and saw something in the road.....couldn't tell what it was at the time. It looked around a foot or so long. I had no room to move so had no choice but to run it over. Almost immediately I started feeling a significant vibration and hearing a banging noise coming from my left drive tires. Got it off the road in a few and checked and what I had ran over was the top section of a jack stand. It was wedged between my left front inner and outer drive tires. I couldn't get it free with a big hammer or a crow bar. I had to go to a truck stop and get the lug nuts off to pull the wheel to get it free. The tires were both fine and luckily the way it had wedged itself in there it didn't damage anything else....other than the gouges it was putting in the road. That was just odd.

201 Thanks this.
  5. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
  6. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
  7. TexasKGB

TexasKGB Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2019
    Fiddler's Green
    Nor driving but, on my Dad's old sailboat between FL and the Bahamas in the late-eighties. Same thing. Hit two containers submerged about 6" under the surface of the water. My Dad switched to coastal motor boats after that.

Blue jeans, okiedokie and 201 Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Might as well be. It could have easily killed me and be another big rig mess for the 6 o clock news back then.

201 Thanks this.
  9. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    We used to have some big money dice games at times, these possibly could have been considered illegal, so we would have them at deer camps and the like in the woods.
    I decided to scare everybody one night, (had to be careful as there was armed guards) and pulled out and killed my lights until everybody had went by, then was driving in without my lights on, a dead tree trunk had fell across half the road, and everybody else went around it. I went over it, the only real damage it did was to jerk the spare and mount out from under the bed. lol

x1Heavy and 201 Thank this.
  10. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Part of a bed frame and mattress. It came off a trailer in front of me.

Another time, some hay that start tumbling off a trailer.

x1Heavy and 201 Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    One of my friends who I thought I knew very well (You really don't) we were conversing in my vehicle eastbound on I-70 being deaf we were using sign language so my eyes were not on the road but using the right hand mirror to keep us in lane without looking like a dog whistle drunk to the Law.

He jerked straight in his passenger seat spasmed as if he wanted OUT and then this... this... little girl squeal as he pointed straight ahead. While I was giving him a hard time about that little girl squeal he made, taking his man card he really got bad in his terror. So I looked ahead.

A complete wheel, drum and tire set from a 18 wheeler was in my lane, happened to be the center lane under the old 355 bridge in Frederick Maryland by the 76 truckstop (Now a costco and the 355 interchange transferred one block east...)

I would say 60 feet to go and closing horribly fast at 75+

Time to execute a high speed lane change on those new michelin tires I just bought a week prior. On a crappy car that has got gas nitrogen shocks but not yet the sway bars to calm the body roll. She did the lane change nicely.

Michelin forever. Little girl terror squeals not so forever. I feel sorry for taking that friend's man card for that but can imagine being in his position and scared. If we hit it I don't think thats survivable. It would have gone end over end.

201 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.