Strangest thing you've run over or almost ran over

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by 201, Nov 14, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I do not know if you would say I hit it or it hit me, but I was in Alberta on Highway 16, slowing down to turn off on 43, at dusk, when your lights don't really do anything. A black object fell out of the sky and took my right fender the chrome grill surround and cut my bumper off right at the frame like it was cut with a knife.
    It was a divided highway, and I had no clue what it was, but walked back to find a bud wheel and tire. it must have been off a trailer running the other way, but no one stopped.

201 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    A mattress flew out of a dude’s truck in NE I was right lane he was one to my left and passing. Flopped out cause it essentially strapped well and I rolled right over it

201 Thanks this.
  4. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I was on the Atlanta 500 one night in the rain. It was december 23, and I was wasting no time headed back to Nm for christmas when a huge box fell out of a pickup. A truck ahead of me hit it and it exploded, if I hit anything it was small pieces, but it turned out to be a couch, someones christmas got ruined.

201 Thanks this.
  5. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    i clobbered a shopping cart that bounced off the inside wall of i70 in downtown indy. it was about 3 am, very little traffic, sweeping left hand curve i was ...ahem... in the far left lane. i still do not know where it came from.

i stopped to check on the truck, but couldn’t find any damage. rolled over it with the passenger steer and spit it out at mach 2 into the middle lane eventually making its way to the other shoulder.

it looked like a baby carriage at first glance.

Michael 247, rolls canardly and 201 Thank this.
  6. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Dump truck / end dump tailgate laying in the hammer lane..Ran that sucker over at 70 mph in a one ton 4x4 cargo van I had..

More recent was a flat bedders 4x4 laying out in the hammer lane in the middle of the night..

201 Thanks this.
  7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Yeah, I've see lots of flatbed sticks, but the end gate, that's gonna take some 'splanin.:dontknow:

starmac and Concorde Thank this.
  8. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I hit a 2X4 that had fell out of something on the 610 loop in Houston on a 750 magna. No biggee, but I learned a lesson, which is run over it, do not try to miss it, unless you have plenty of room. I leaned her over to go around and just hit the end, it seemed like the front slid 2 feet sideways when I hit it. It scared the pee waddle out of me.
    Fast forward a couple of years and I was on my wing up by Corsicana on I-45. There was a highway job going on and they had the shoulder cut down a foot or so, gravel end dumps beside me passing me and another one 5 feet behind me waiting to get the hammer lane. Thee was a sheet of plywood laying in my lane, no big deal riding over it, EXCEPT the wind off the truck passing me stood it up and I smacked it, It tore the faring all to pieces and my windshield off.

201 Thanks this.
  9. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    And youse guys just reminded me when I was like 14 we would make a dummy,
    and put it on the side of the road, with a rope over a branch,
    and pull it - to jump it out in the road. Funny then; not so much now.
    (What the He## were we thinking?)
    Funny, Till the triaxle dump guy locked 'em up, and chased us down thru the woods a mile.

dunchues and 201 Thank this.
  10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Coming back from the mine in my old Topkick service truck in a windstorm. Big sheet of that 2" or 3" thick styrofoam insulation blew across the highway right in front of me. Smoked it doing 100 and vaporized it lol.

201 Thanks this.
  11. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Got two:

Heading into New England, heavy HEAVY traffic. Some handy man cut in front of my T600, and his blasted (almost new) Werner Ladder slid off the rack right into my left steer. I rolled over that sonuvagun with every left side tire I had. Didn't even touch the brakes, just gripped the steering wheel and sprayed. Zero damage to the truck, almost major damage to the handyman once we got stopped.

Second one:

Rolling into Indy on I69, rush hour traffic and it's after dark. Some idiot flatbedder lost one of his 4x4's. Truck beside and just barely in front of me grabbed it on the very end and kicked it up. Board lashed back, bounced off his drives then spun on end into my drives. Then the board laid itself straight on the zipper. Darned flatbedders need to be more careful securing their lumber (said the flatbedder)!

201 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.