Struggling to learn how to back up

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Almendra, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    A good teacher makes all the difference in the world. Find yourself a good open space and set some cones or something up and practice by yourself where you can be calm and comfortable. Most people really excel when they get out on there own at first anyway so don't give up if its something you want to do. If it makes you feel better, I've been at it close to 30 years and I still had to make a few trips to DMV last time I renewed my hazmat endorsement. All those questions with 2 right answers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. olddog_newtricks

olddog_newtricks Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Like I said it's all preference. It doesn't make a bit of difference top or bottom push or pull so long as it's turned left when it needs to go left.

nredfor88 Thanks this.
  4. Blue Zombie Trucker

Blue Zombie Trucker Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2017
    And you are missing the point. Totally.

This is an excellent trick for people who are new to backing to remember which way to turn the wheel to make the trailer go the way they want it to go. Which, in case you've forgotten, is a big part of the problem with people learning to back a trailer.

I get it, man. Mechanically it makes no difference. No kidding. But that's not what we're talking about. It's a mental approach.

But hey, you be right.

Rugerfan Thanks this.
  5. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    First off you can't be stupid if you passed that permit. when I went to stevens they had a guy fail the general knowledge 4 times. I never struggled backing been backing farm equipment a lot before getting a CDL but I would say its not you its the learning curve. Unless they were fortunate like me using farm equipment or a boat or something they would have had issues myself included. I recommend a formal school if that's an option otherwise company but only company as a last option. Me I would never let my woman in a truck with another dude for training not the trust issue but rather trusting the complete stranger guy with my woman.

I am not saying you won't encounter a lesbian female trainer and before anyone gets butt hurt or anything I have no problems with lesbians so there lol
    But I think the chances another woman rape would be slim. I won't have anyone train my woman but me however so I don't have worry about this. Plus I have a lot of patience I could spend 8 hours in 102 weather fishing and still have a smile on my face and that could be everyday did something like that couple months found great place catch a lot fish nearly every day was catch and release mostly.

6. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I agree you need a different trainer. Go to a decent truck driving school and there should be decent people working there. If you’re feeling nervous and unsure of yourself it won’t work. If your trainer is waiting to scold you, you get rattled and at that point it’s a losing battle.

7. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Remember T T T......TURN TOWARDS TROUBLE.

LoboSolo and OldeSkool Thank this.
  8. AKDoug

AKDoug Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Nothing better than a beater pickup and beater trailer to learn how to back up. Find a big space and learn. I'm currently teaching my 21 yr. old daughter to back up a trailer. Right now she's doing it with a riding lawn mower and a cart. Tonight we start with an old pickup and a crappy trailer. No stress about dinging stuff. By the end of the weekend we should be in my good truck and my nice gooseneck. Should have her in the tractor trailer by the end of the month. I have two daughters and I've taught them both to drive and we haven't had any issues. The wife, on the other hand, gets sent to somebody else to learn. It doesn't matter if its shooting guns, archery or operating heavy equipment I find someone else to teach her. Her dad took care of the driving and backing trailers, so I haven't had to deal with that :D

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  9. 3031

3031 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2011
    It doesn't matter what trick you use to remember which way to turn the steering wheel, as long as it works for you. Personally, I remember that the front of the trailer will move the same direction as the steering wheel. So if I turn the wheel to the right (clockwise) the front of the trailer moves to my right and vice-versa.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  10. AKDoug

AKDoug Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2018
    What's funny is that at the end of a multi trailer backing kind of day, I struggle for a few seconds backing up bobtail.. LOL.. I always go the wrong way on the first move.

11. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    What helped me with backing more than anything other than practice was getting a toy truck and trailer and watching with a bird's eye view at how the trailer responds to the turn. I know this sounds weird but it made it click for me. Everyone has different learning styles so try all the suggestions given above and find what works for you. You will get this just hang in there. And yes I agree you should go to trucking school. Your boyfriend does not seem to be a good teacher. Best wishes to you!

God prefers Diesels and alds Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.