Student Over-the-Road Truck Driver

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by Sean_Memphis, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Sean_Memphis

Sean_Memphis Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    Also, to update the original question I asked...Con-Way NO longer offers CDL training/direct financing. They ONLY reimburse up to $4000 for new hires w/a CDL (payed out over time).

ZephyrSoCal Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Wonder why they quit doing it?

4. lcfd15

lcfd15 Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    I heard that there were too many (even though it was contracted) were just getting their license and getting away from con-way so there was not really no end profit for them because now they have to spend money in litigation to recoup any money that is not payed back in courts.

5. Sean_Memphis

Oct 9, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, I just confirmed that information with them earlier today. My list just got shorter LOL :)

6. ZephyrSoCal

ZephyrSoCal Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2014
    What a coincidence. I was in Neosho twice for military training back in '98 and '99. During one of my visits, I saw the tractors and students practicing and hanging out. I got curious so I walked up to a couple students to ask questions. Years later, here I am, inspired to get my Class A, partly by students I met 15 or 16 years ago.

lcfd15 Thanks this.
  7. musicgal

musicgal Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Carthage, Missouri
    If you apply at Conway and go to school at Crowder, you will pay about $1300 up front and then Conway pays the balance after you deliver your first load. My son just did this and he is upgrading today.

double yellow Thanks this.
  8. Sean_Memphis

Oct 9, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    That doesn't sound like a very good deal, unless the school is local for you. Do you drive for SWIFT?

9. lcfd15

lcfd15 Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    1300 is quite the chunk of change to put down at one time if you ask me. you still end up having to sign a contract with them on top of that though if I am not mistaken, so you will be locked in for that entire time.

10. musicgal

musicgal Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Carthage, Missouri
    Crowder is 30 minutes from us. Full price for Crowder is $3200, but Conway gets a discount. Nothing was said about signing a contract. Out of town students stay in the dorm at Crowder. If you read the Crowder post in tge school section there is more information. I graduated from there April 2010 and, yes, I now run team with my husband at Swift.

11. Sean_Memphis

Oct 9, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, being so close...that works a lot better for you...I'm on the West Coast and that's not so good for me. Con-Way told me I would have to pay ALL expenses up front to the school, graduate and then they would hire me on and reimburse my tuition over several months. I could just go to Swift, etc and not have ANY upfront costs. How is Swift working for you?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.