stupidest thing u have done or seen a rookie do?

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Freebird135, May 29, 2009.

1. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    soooo in that case when the truck was rockin--would have been good if someone was knockin

Injun Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Okieron

Okieron Crusty Okie

Dec 23, 2009
    muskogee, ok
    My first trip alone down into Denver from Utah I had just gotten a Volvo and the jake had 3 positions and I didn't know they were opposite the Freightliner I had been driving. I started down I was 2 gears down from what it took me to get up so I figure I'm good. I had the jakes on"full" remember backwards" so I'm feeling good and proud suddenly the truck seems to be gaining speed faster than I can bring it downscared to try a shift at this point so I try to brake it down! made it to the bottom pull into terminal say trailer needs brakes truck needs jakes fixed. Mechanic laughs and says how long have you been driving a Volvo 3 days he laughs again shows me my flaw fixes the brakes while I do laundry! I'm ff and running now I test Jakes on any new truck as soon as I get in! lesson learned I got an "A"

4. Dave 1960

Dave 1960 Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Shepherd, TX
    This Freightshaker I'm driving has piss poor Jakes. Seems to have as much trouble pulling a hill at 53K as it used to at 75K.

Got a letter at home that I'm accepted for Haz-Mat and will get the license soon. I'm gonna use it as a weapon to get a better truck. The ONLY thing this one had going was it always started and went down the road. This AM that went out the window~!

5. CivilWerks

CivilWerks Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I was stuck in a small town in Utah for a weekend. I decided now would be a good time to wash the truck. Spied a do it yourself car wash that had one tall RV Bay. I pulled up to it ever so slowly and even stuck my head out the window to check that my W900L flattop roof would fit inside the wash bay. It cleared it by a few inches. Hot ####! pulled another 3 feet in and felt a large crushing sound. Seems my dumb ##### forgot my stacks were 13' 6"

Elvenhome21 Thanks this.
  6. nitrogen

nitrogen Medium Load Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    few years back i was hauling superB's out of calgary. got down around Sparwood, discovered the beast ate a cylinder liner. wait 6+ hours for boss to send new tractor out with the tow truck. i had the wife and all the gear in the sleeper. they send a day cab. we carry on way late to customer very tired, boss said to get a room. no rooms, major forest fires, so firefighters and evacuations. she says lets take this new road home, it will get us to where we can get a hotel quicker. road gets steeper and steeper, gravel too. finally spin out with quads locks on. great I'll split go to the top, drop and come back for the pup. pissed off, stupid tired, in a hurry didn't set trailer brakes, pulled the pin for the pups fifth wheel. prob 10% grade trailer starts F ing off down the hill. fortunately the pin caught the crossmember and saved me.

one day driving a cornbinder meant to flip, diff lock or air ride delate, hit the fifth wheel slide by mistake, didn't see the light behind steering heel spoke. stopped just fine but when i let out the clutch to take off it felt light i'd been tailended by a freight train. screaming blue murder, took me 10 minutes to figure out what was going on, didn't hurt the stoppers though so all was good.

7. o.m.d.

o.m.d. Heavy Load Member

Aug 15, 2010
    massachusetts
    yeah for real, i always prepare to stop if the light up ahead has been green for a while, if i cant safely stop the truck, i go right threw it, yellow or green. never had a cop pull me over but if one was stupid enough to my response would be "would you rather i jack the brakes on and risk flipping over and killing myself or someone?"

8. Denadii Cho

Denadii Cho Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    On the US 97 about twenty miles north of Madras Or. there is this big winding hill. I had a blown turbo and was sitting near Shaliko. I was carrying about 46,000 lbs of 53 ft wooden I beam. Well I called for a tow and was to be carried to Bend Or.
    As we approached a rest area at the top of this big winding hill, a truck pulled out and started down the hill. The driver of the tow truck started telling me how stupid that guy was for some dumb reason. My driver down shifted one gear and was yapping so fast that he forgot to downshift more, and he needed to downshift. A lot more.

We gained speed fast! He tried downshifting but nope He was already doing seventy. So he started tapping the brakes and all I could do was to hang on. I watched in the mirrors as smoke funneled out behind us and wished he could have hooked up some air to my trailer too when he hooked up.
    Ah! There's a runaway ramp. I looked at the speedo. Oh Crap. Don't take the runaway ramp! (I yelled in my head) My truck will go right over us! Oh Good! He didn't.
    Well this guy was straightening out all the corners and I could just see a car coming around the curve and us going over him! Whew! No cars... I looked at his brake foot. Sh$%# Its flat on the floor! Look at all that smoke!!!
    Well we hit the flats doing... I don't know!! The needle was pinned! Then the dufus wanted to stop to cool the brakes. Now I spoke. Keep going dummy! If you stop now the brakes will light up. Let them cool down by the wind.
    Well he asked me later why I was so calm during our ride.... I couldn't say anything because my heart was in my mouth. Of course I didn't tell him that.... I just told him........

9. Denadii Cho

Denadii Cho Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    Seems Swift drivers do that a lot. North Bend Wa at the TA. A Swift driver parked his right trailer wheels on top of a four foot high rock.

10. Dave 1960

Dave 1960 Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Shepherd, TX
    Y'all keep it up about Swiftys and I will NEVER stop laughing!

11. nhroadhog01

nhroadhog01 Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Swanzey, NH
    I went to hook up to a trailer. I backed under locked onto the kingpin. I thought I hooked the wrong one pulled the KP lock and realized it was the right one so I hooked up my airlines and pigtail, cranked up landing gear checked my lights got into the cab did my pw went to pull out and the trailer hit the frame I said shyte hit the brakes just in time. I forgot to rehook my king pin

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.