Swift Conditional Letter: on the hook yet?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by ayaytc, May 24, 2022.

1. ayaytc

ayaytc Bobtail Member

May 24, 2022
    Hi all!

First time hopefully-soon-to-be trucker here. Going through the motions with Swift Academy to driver program (interviewed, filled out applications, took physical/drug screening, signed conditional letter of employment).

I’m having second thoughts about being on the hook for $8,000 with them. I know they pay it all back over time, but in that time they have me by the ⚽️ ⚽️. I’m starting to think it’d be better to get a $5,000 loan and get my own CDL.

My question: is it too late to pull out? I may want to drive for them after I get my CDL but I’m worried I might burn that bridge if I tell them I’d rather get my own CDL. Is that even an option now? I signed the conditional letter but I don’t think it said anything about now I’m on the hook for that money (they didn’t give me a copy, it was all online).

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Show a lawyer what you signed and they could tell you. Or call Swift and ask them.....

4. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    ayaytc,

You Didn't Check Out Options Before Signing Up With SWIFT?
    There Is (?) An Option At Your Local State Unemployment Office.
    There's a Possibility Of A Local College having said training course.
    You Do Know Prices Of Things Have RISEN, Yes??
    Maybe Your 5 G's Willn't Be Enough?
    Maybe 8 G's Is Closest To Reality?

You Don't Have A COPY Of What You SIGNED?
    You Were Not E-Mailed A Copy?
    How About Mailed?

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    get your CDL on your own, then owe the BANK, and be free of the tyranny of a being an indentured servant, and UNABLE to seek better employment.

6. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    $8,000 for Swift training?

Ahh Hahahahahahahaha!

Are people really that dumb and desperate..oh my!

Northern Nomad Thanks this.
  7. Sixela918

Sixela918 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    Swift doesn't require you to sign an employment contract of any kind. If you stay with them you pay it off $80/check. If you leave, they bill you for the remainder. That's it. No servitude.

8. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    Knuckle down and be a Swifty.
    Don’t be one of the
    Sure Wished I Finished Training ones.
    27FC53FA-2B6E-466E-830D-F997C2C62D6A.jpeg

9. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia

:biggrin_2559: :biggrin_2559: :biggrin_2559:

10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

It's $8k if after he agrees to be on the hook, take their school, work for 12 months he then decides to break the agreement.
    People should not sign their name to agreements and then act like they didn't sign their name to an agreement.

I believe Swift reduces the amount the student would owe every week they work for Swift, the first year, and then pay them the same amount every week they work for Swift the second year.

Turtlelegs Thanks this.
  11. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @ayaytc -- on a slightly more serious note....:p:D

Yes, $8k does sound high for a ticket to success.

But....I'm gonna agree with Judge, above--be a "freight train" (basically unstoppable) and finish what you've started (learning/beginning things with Swift).

Despite all the bashing that the mega-carriers get on forums like this one--starting out with a mega-carrier does have some BIG advantages for a new driver, anyway.

If the economy does go into the septic tank (as many think it well might), Swift is a very good place to be--they'll have plenty of freight to keep you moving.

Also--if/when you encounter bad weather and/or bad road conditions, Swift will allow you complete "stop work authority"....and you can park it, until conditions improve. This is a GREAT thing to have--especially for a beginning driver.

Unlike with some other mega-fleets, with Swift you're more likely to see most (or even all) of the lower 48 states--if that's something that you find appealing.

You will also have company access to many more terminals/dropyards for overnight parking--including all those for Knight Transportation, as well.

Don't let all the negative commentary and Swift jokes deter you--you could do a lot worse than Swift.

Once you start--stay with them for AT LEAST ONE YEAR. Longer is of course even better.

Your later employers will respect you a lot more if you stay at your first trucking gig at least a year--or longer.

Trust me on this one--later on, you'll be glad you did. ;):D

--Lual

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    Trucker61016, Turtlelegs and Munch75 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.