Swift - Starting the New Year training with Swift 1/7/13 - A long read...

Discussion in 'Swift' started by DocWatson, Jan 3, 2013.

1. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    It doesn't matter ... a given trip is going to take how may hours it's going to take. Burn your hours down today or burn them down tomorrow ... it makes no difference.

Don't worry about trying to figure out if you have the hours to run a trip ... know how many hours you have and how many miles you can run on those hours. Then when a trip comes in, if the miles fit your hours, take it. If not turn it down ... Example I will have 4 hours left when I unload Tuesday, 9 hours coming back on Wednesday. I can take a 240 mile trip that delivers Tuesday night, 400 mile trip that delivers Wednesday morning or a 750 mile trip that picks up Tuesday and delivers Wednesday night ... or a combination of trips that fit those miles/time frames.

Right now freight is fair, and will get hot after labor day and through the holidays, miss a load and there will be something else behind it ... but, if you don't move quick you may have missed the plum. Then come January through April freight will be tight. If you can't jump on a preplan, you may find yourself sitting awhile before the next one comes in.

And don't worry about your 70. The 70 rolls over 8 days. If you've run out of your 70, that means you should have run about 3500 - 3600 miles in the last 8 days ... You can afford to sit!

Grijon, DocWatson and cj&m Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    For a while I also had the same mentality, burn the hours when I have them. But as an example, my first solo out I ran it down to about 5 hours left on my 70 with almost nothing coming back for two days. That left me in a pickle with planners that apparently aren't looking at available HOS, offering me hot 1000+ mile loads with tight ETA's... then when I turn them down I'm left with offers to deadhead 60 miles to deliver an 11 mile load (and it was supposed to deliver 2 days ago)... when I turn down the short haul by noting the actual times IN THE FUTURE that I will make it the load gets pulled.

That time I ended up sitting 32 hours... yep, 2 hours short of a reset, but then had enough hours coming back to go ahead and run.

It's my impression that the planners and dispatchers at Swift don't have a consolidated picture of any driver's hours, instead they are relying on snapshot information and just throw loads out there hoping something will stick. It's a shame because if they were planning and dispatching with complete information I'm sure our miles and company income would be increased.

Because of the difficulty the planners and dispatchers have with the computer system not easily giving a complete picture without wading through complex menus, it is better to keep a steady diet of hours per day so you always have something "in the tank" to handle what they throw at you. In my few short months solo it seems that whenever I get short on hours they just don't know how to respond to that, then I end up sitting for a day while they throw out ridiculous load offers that are patently wrong (delivering five days ago or driving 1000+ miles in 23 hours... that sort of thing).

DocWatson Thanks this.
  4. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    For quick easy time/trip planning what I did was buy a cheap paper logbook at the truck stop. If you look at it there are 5 24 periods on each sheet. What I do is put today's date on the first line then each line down is tomorrow's and the next day's dates up to 5 days worth of planning ahead. In the slot to the far right of each days 24 hours where you are supposed to add up the days hours to equal 24 hours, this is where I put my recap hours, in other words, day one is today's available hours, next line is tomorrow's available and so on. I go back and plot out the pick up time with a dot, plot out my 10 hour breaks etc. I can use a different color pen to plot out for split breaks, but what I do is plot out the conventional times with the dots at the bottom of of the grid, and splits in the middle of the grid to differentiate. Whichever is the most advantageous for hours of service and easy parking is what I will do.

DocWatson Thanks this.
  5. elk71

elk71 Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Western, WA
    SO TRUE! It's great see a fellow moss backs on this thread.

DocWatson Thanks this.
  6. elk71

elk71 Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Western, WA
    If she is a music teacher... a big "if" here kids. I'm pretty sure the only song she knows is the slobber blues.

DocWatson Thanks this.
  7. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    I think you missed the point ... Take a 2000 mile trip ... no matter how you cut it it's going to take roughly 33.5 hours to drive it over 4 shifts.

Now you're advocating driving 4 shifts at 8.375 ... but it really doesn't matter because at the end of the run you have still burned 33.5 hours off you 70 over 4 days. Now I would run 3 long shifts and one short shift of 1 to 2 hours. I do this for 2 reasons.

First and foremost. It's what I have left on my clock when I deliver. If I deliver with on 2.675 hours on my 11 the planners will let me sit for a 10 before I get my next load. But, if I deliver with 8+ hour available on my PTA I will be in the que for loads 18 hours before I deliver. More often than not, I am leaving for my next trip right after I empty.

Second I run almost exclusively off my recap, rarely take a 34. I've found that have those big blocks of time sets you up for getting the longer loads. While having the smaller blocks of time results in the planner's/system trying match short loads to small blocks of time.

As for your first trip ... that's a good thing. If you burned off 65 hours in 6 days, then you should have run at least 3K miles. With nothing coming off in 2 days and 3000 mile behind you, you should take a 34 and do it again. Now if you didn't run 3000 miles, then you have a different kind of time management issue.

Grijon, DocWatson and inkeper Thank this.
  8. DocWatson

DocWatson Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore
    Hmmm....I gotta look into all these hour planning strategies more closely when I'm not so tired. Sounds like there are some great ideas out there. I've heard from one of my mentors about running on recap as well. I need to start fresh with some fresh thinking after this next hometime to maximize my income.

9. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    I was running off my recap for over a month, Walmart made me take a 34 even though i told them I had 7 hours on my 70, gaining 10 at midnight and almost 10 the next night and they said they run 6 days max before a break...
    ohwell im still making more per week with them then I do otr , this coming check is the largest I have ever gotten with Swift so far.

oh and Doc im close to your home town right now, sitting at the Sumner terminal waiting to get a B service in the morning so I can be removed from safety hold and finish my walmart runs

DocWatson Thanks this.
  10. DocWatson

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore
    OK so I'm currently at a somewhat rundown Flying J in Ellensburg, Wa. I'm almost "home"!

I'm currently sitting and waiting for the On road mechanic to come sometime around noon tomorrow to bring me a new air dryer since mine failed.

I had been running around the SLC and Idaho area for a few days and my home time date of 8/25 was approaching. Swift asked me to take a short tcall load down to SLC as a favor so I did. I went back up to Jerome cheese in Idaho and picked up a load going back near Seattle to bring me home. I noticed some poor brake performance and checked my lines at a scale house. My blue line sat dangling unhooked. I have never seen this before and was a little perplexed. I hooked it back up, it seemed secure and I went on my way. Hours later, approaching some stopped traffic I felt the brakes being weak again. I pulled over going up a steep incline between Yakima and Ellensburg and checked the line again. It was dangling. The odd thing was that the connection wasn't really loose. I hooked it up, wrapped some duck tape around it to see if that would make a difference after I had already banged the glad hand a little tighter. This time my air pressure wouldn't go back up as it had the last time. I was stuck.

I got on road to come out and I had a bad governor (I think) and a bad air dryer. He would have to order parts. Last night I stayed there on the incline with my reflective triangles out. In the morning the two furthest ones were run over. Scary stuff. Someone also blew their airhorn going by early this morning. I was partially in the gravel with about 6 feet from the shoulders painted line.

Mechanic came back this morning and rigged it up so I had the use of one of my tanks to get me about 1/2 a mile up to the scenic viewpoint parking lot. He drove me down the mountain to this Flying J about 8 miles away to shower and use the bathroom and so he could get some breakfast. We went back up to the truck and he dropped me off. Parts are being picked up in the AMand he should be back here about 12. He suggested, if I felt compelled, to limp the truck down the mountain to the Flying J to wait for him in the morning. He left and I was alone for a while at the scenic viewpoint. However as nature started to remind me, there was no bathroom up there and privacy went away as a few trucks pulled in next to me. Taking a leak wouldn't have been a problem but anything else was. I was dreading heading down the hill a for a couple of reasons. 1) I couldn't use my splitter since the tank that supplied air to my splitter wasn't hooked up. So my maximum gearing and speed was 4th gear and 22 miles per hour. Wasn't a big deal earlier moving the truck up the hill less than a mile away but now I had to go 8 miles. Bigger deal on a 65 mph interstate doing 22 mph. 2) I had to manipulate my progress so I didn't allow my one working air chambers pressure to drop below 60 psi but I couldn't let it go much above 120 psi. So I tested it out before heading down, revving the engine and testing how much air pressure was building at my anticipated highest rpm. I adjusted the release valve accordingly and set off down the hill. Basically I had to pull over and stop whenever the pressure got too high to allow it to drop back down to near 60. Once I stopped I had to make sure I got going again right when it dropped back down towards 60 psi or run the risk of the brakes popping on. I did this all the way down staying in the shoulder as much as possible and timing everything so I wasn't in the way of any trucks heading down. It was a little sketchy to say the least. My load was repowered at the scenic view point before I headed down so I was bobtail at least. Otherwise I would have been left to using the underside of my trailer as a secret bathroom. The 8 mile crawl took me close to an hour before I parked here at the J. I made it and hope I never have to do that again. I probably will but I can dream.

So I'm guessing that after I'm repaired tomorrow I'll be bobtailing back to the terminal to start a few days off on my home time. I have to pick up the new tabs for my bike and go to the DMV to get that new license that incorporates the medical card into it. Its been over 3 months since I've been home to WA and I'm really hoping my bike starts when I get there. Favors from friends or from my bike mechanic get expensive so I would be happy if it just starts and I can run the now bad gas out of it. I'm also meeting up with my exfiance I haven't seen in 9 years, other than Facebook photos. She is the reason I moved out to WA from Jersey to begin with. She's attractive and I think a sure thing. I have needs so this should be a good thing. (Can I say that here?) Gotta find a motel/hotel/no-tell tomorrow night. This better play out the way I hope as I turned down a couple of good runs to coordinate with the time she requested off from her job. Probably the last time I'll do that as I need to focus more on making money and less on satisfying biological needs. Enough said. My apologies but I guess this is the life of a trucker.

Truck is going into the shop once I hit the terminal. The antenna on my passenger side broke (again) for some reason (no, it didn't hit anything other than wind it seems) and it is once again duck taped over the roof. I got a few flat spots I noticed on my drives and my Qualcomm needs to be reset before I kill it violently.

I think I have said this before but at this point I can't imagine doing anything else other than trucking. I feel like this whole lifestyle has somehow permeated into my veins over time, slowly and thoroughly. I almost feel like I'm going to miss my truck and being on the road and I haven't even started my home time yet. I do look forward to getting on my bike again but I feel like I'm a little 'away from home' outside the truck. I guess I can analogize it by comparing it to a crate trained dog that is not very comfortable in his little cage at first, welcoming every opportunity to have his freedom from the cage. At first. But then slowly that dog starts to go into his cage even when he doesn't have to because that is where he is comfortable. That is where his blankey and toys are. Before long that is the preferred place. Like my truck.

After this next home time I'm going to see if they will let me leave my bike key with the guy at the front desk so I can have the bike picked up by a bike hauling company while I'm back on the road. Im getting it trucked out to Virginia where it will get more use. I'm hoping this all works out.

Grijon Thanks this.
  11. DocWatson

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore
    I'll keep an eye out for you. I should be heading back to the terminal tomorrow afternoon if all goes well. I'll look for ya there when I get there. I'm almost dreading trying to find parking there already....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.