Swift - Starting the New Year training with Swift 1/7/13 - A long read...

Discussion in 'Swift' started by DocWatson, Jan 3, 2013.

1. ttwjr32

ttwjr32 Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2013
    California
    " Only happy when she drinks" As Larry the cable guy says "now that's funny"

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DocWatson

DocWatson Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore
    Oh man she had some issues.

My natural response to this was "So do you wanna go grab a drink?". She didn't.

4. DocWatson

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore
    At the Vince Lombardi service plaza here off the NJ Turnpike. I'm pretty sure there's gotta be a couple of bodies, past mafia hits, out in the marsh past the access road and the tall grass. At least it smells like it.

I definitely have a love hate relationship with north Jersey. I love it because me.and my family are from here. I hate it because its north Jersey. All those years of living in the lush green and clean of Washington State have made me soft and, after getting my requisite delivered pizza and a porkroll sandwich from the lunch truck at my delivery, I'm ready to get the f out of here.

They've been sending me crazy loads that are impossible to deliver within the guidelines of the preplan. They are not taking into consideration traffic and the limited parking out here. I love the miles with this last run but hate the destination. I guess that's part of the give and take of it all. I called them about the available windows on these loads and they all have been pretty inflexible. So I'm waiting.

I put a home time request in back in Washington for 4/28. I have to meet with the ex (STBEW) on 4/29 to cash a check for her so she can pay me the $500 beans she owes me. I also got to pick up my birth certificate from my storage unit so I can start working on my passport application. Then maybe I can grab a couple of Canada runs for something different. STBEX has court on 4/30 and hopefully she will be on time this time and it will be final.

It was a meeting of the Swift drivers this morning at the consignee. One was there waiting before me last night. Another showed up after me this morning and then 2 more showed up. Poor guy receiving the freight was by himself unloading our trucks. We all had empty soda cans out of WY and traded notes. I was routed across 90 and this other guy, whom is now parked across from me here at the Vince Lombardi rest area, was routed across I-80. It was cool getting in a little socialization with the other drivers. Guy parked here across from me has been driving for Swift for 17 years and is a trainer off and on. We compared notes on trucks as he has the 2014 Pro star versus my 2011. Nice truck he's got. Sounds like it had some issues like mine but he got them worked out.

Looking forward to getting out of here soon as these monster sized seagulls were looking at my pizza crust and giving me the stink eye.

5. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    LOL ... one of the side effects of Plus 1 ... receiver has a delivery window and Swift will schedule everyone for the same time ... Had 10 of us show up at a receiver in Laredo at 8 AM for a receiver that opened at 9.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    DocWatson Thanks this.
  6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I was just having less than fond memories of a shipper near the Long Beach port I ran a couple loads for last year. He would schedule 7 trucks all for 7 p.m.

Trouble was there were only 3 docks in an extremely tight yard...

... and his warehouse was small and mostly filled with his personal stuff, like boats and cars...

... and he also had to RECEIVE 7 containers from the port in order to fill the 7 outbound trucks...

... and there was no street parking allowed.

Other than that, piece of cake. Thankfully I was running team. The solo drivers that didn't get out until 3:00 am weren't so happy.

DocWatson Thanks this.
  7. WitchyWomen

WitchyWomen Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Buckeye, AZ
    I finally get it Doc, while Steve is jonesing for another Motorcycle. I bet he is PMing or emailing you about it. Man has owned more BMW's and GS's then the law allows. Although he will point out he knows other BMWOA riders who have had more. There is a farkle you can put on the bottom of your bike that helps traffic light sensors sense you. Better then nothing. You'll get smoother when picking up the chicks on a bike. Steve got one 15 years ago who was 20 years younger then him so it can happen.

SteveH85396 and DocWatson Thank this.
  8. SteveH85396

SteveH85396 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Waddell, AZ
    She's still 20 years younger, problem is we're BOTH getting older.

DocWatson Thanks this.
  9. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Plenty of room if you had her sit on your lap as you showed her how the QC works lol.

Enjoying your thread here. At home now cruising the OnDemand free and pay channels, lo and behold came across a movie called Motorcycle Diaries which I would never have been interested in seeing but for a mention on this thread. I don't have the guts to do it, but I would love to t do a driving tour of South America.

DocWatson Thanks this.
  10. DocWatson

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore
    Pretty much what happened with all of us. I gotta say the guy unloading by himself was doing a great job as we were all getting done quick.

Although you had me beat with 10 trucks scheduled at the same time.

What a nightmare. And no street parking. Gotta love it

11. DocWatson

Jan 21, 2010
    Jersey shore
    I know that farkle. Not sure why I never bought it but I understand it works. All it really is is a standard magnet priced higher at the bike shops. Gotta get that.

I think there is no end to the number of bikes someone can have when they love riding. If it was up to me I would have about 4 or 5 of different types.

That is true!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.