TA just raised shower prices really?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Lonewolf2000, Mar 9, 2019.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Are you using NASTC? They have some pretty good discounts. I ran some numbers some time ago, and fueling exclusively at TA/Petro costs me up to 5 cents more per gallon on average. However, their reward points recoup about half of it, and then being able to use “some” reserved parking can recoup another portion. I estimate it will cost me up to $500 more per year, which isn’t much. Then there is also the easiness in getting showers and little to no wait time at the fuel pumps.

I don’t see TA/Petro or Pilot/FJ removing their reserved parking. Maybe they start reducing it in some truck stops based on demand. I certainly see how adding lots of reserved parking and eliminating the ability to earn two showers a day (for most drivers) has sent a bad message to customers.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    you have look at this way the more truckers they can fit into a truck stop or anywhere the more likely some will spend on more than just fuel. They see $$ when they see your truck pull up when they see a full parking lot they have an orgy in the back I think.

4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I think that was true not so long ago, but things are changing very quickly in trucking. Now more than ever, truckers are more likely to have a fridge and microwave inside their trucks. Why spend $5 at a truck stop when you already have lots of decent food inside your truck that you purchased at Walmart at an affordable price. Plus, TA/Petro doesn’t offer any legit food, and when they do, it’s going to be $10. Love’s and Pilot/FJ have better food and more affordable.

5. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Really? Let me ball park it for you.
    6 pumps, with a truck pulling in every 15 minutes (used to be the minimum logbook interval) takes anywhere from 50-150 gallons. Let's say 60 because that's the target for showers now and that's probably low. And even though truckstops are 24 hours let's assume half the day they are at half capacity.

120 gallons/hr peak & 60 gph off peak. 1,440+720=2,160

2,160 Per pump per day, 6 pumps =12,960

Let's assume they're getting an abysmal 50 cents a gallon markup (ha!) that's $6,480 per DAY just on the diesel side. Most TAs also have a gas side but I can't estimate how much volume they move. But I'm sure $520 pure profit isn't a bad guess. (Probably low)

That's $7k if NOBODY stepped inside.

I like to refer to coffee as "hot, dirty, water." I don't know what a municipality charges for water but the cost is probably per gallon. Cheep coffee is probably $1.50 for 16 ounces. Shady places might reuse the beans but even legit there's economy of scale. It takes the same labor to brew 2 gallons of coffee as it does to brew a cup, obviously your material costs go up but not significantly. Sure you could get a 24 oz coffee cheaper than two 12 oz cups but not that much cheaper.

It's already known that certain snack foods available at TA are double what they sell for at a supermarket. Supermarkets seem to be able to stay solvent at half the cost.

Now, here's my problem with reserved parking. I refuse to pay because someday this WILL become mandatory across the board. (Places like NJ, Atlanta and Orlando charge lot admission anyway.) but while there is still time? I avoid those places. I'm not forced to pay, although I suspect sometime in the future we won't have a choice anymore. I'm just not hastening the process.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.