Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 7, 2019.

1. bigtravelr

bigtravelr Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2017
    I have the EZ drain and it's got a pretty tricky spring lock on it if something hit it hard enough to break it it would probably put a hole in the oil pan anyway

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I'm planning on looking at them, but I doubt I'll install one. This is the first time I've ever had the issue.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Beerad_the_trucker

Beerad_the_trucker Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2020
    Read quite a few of your pages soo many didn't read all. Are you still o/o with crete and did you find it worthwhile. I am thinking of going o/o with them. Any advice information would be greatly appreciated.

Farmerbob1 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt

Stop using truck stop shops for pm services....... only use them when you have no choice.......

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Farmerbob1 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Only good if you do your own, Drain right into empty containers. I have one, but took it off, worried Me too much, Lol

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  7. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I am satisfied with Crete, (*EDIT*) as a good place to START as an owner operator, but I would not buy a Crete truck again, due to them not installing APU units (it accelerates decay of DEF systems.)

I am on a drop and hook reefer account as well, so I can run a lot of miles in a decent week. Last year, I averaged over 3,000 total miles per week that I drove, with less than 1000 miles unpaid, and less than 10% miles deadhead.

We get Crete maintenance pricing wherever Crete has accounts if you use the maintenance account that is set up for you.

We get to participate in the Crete health insurance system like an employee.

We get Crete fuel pricing.

There are a few other benefits too. For example, they are paying for my tags and permits this year and they are going to donate $500 to my IRA as a bonus. The IRA bonus is based on years of service, and I think it maxes out at $1700 for 15 years service. Both of these bonuses are a result of driving over 90k miles last year. I maxed both bonuses due to how many more miles I drove.

EDIT ADD MORE *
    When my truck is paid off, I will almost certainly move to a company with a load board so I can learn lanes and markets better.

Beerad_the_trucker Thanks this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    It depends, on the Shop, Theres a lot of good ones. Depends on the worker. A lot of them will do a great job, if you treat them right. An occasional tip, doesn’t hurt, when they do a good job. Goes a long way.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  9. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    What does the health insurance through Crete run you?

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  10. Beerad_the_trucker

Beerad_the_trucker Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2020
    I have read even more pages man you have had a journey. On page 100 going backwards to 20 where left off to start. Yeah i am worried about there truck they offer seems high price lots of miles and seems like within 2 years you needed engine rebuild ( still haven't finished your journey so far yet so don't quote me). I would be dry I run hard with them so I always get miles just so worried about truck with that many miles for almost 80k. Seems like you have been staying afloat though. Really just wanting o/o to build business credit/ cash flow. I want out of trucking to start my own restaurant. Wish you the best of luck and thanks for posting the incredible journey

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  11. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Insurances (only me, no dependents):
    Health 135.00 per week.
    Life 14.00 per month.
    Dental 18.24 per month.
    Vision 6.36 per month.
    Critical care 16.40 per month
    Workman Comp 180.00 per month

Truck Insurances
    Collision 160.00 per month
    Bobtail 36.00 per month
    Cargo 15.00 per month

zep1218, dwells40 and JonJon78 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.