Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    By now, you should definitely know whether or not you made the right decision. What do you say? Got more pocket money now? Since You bought a Truck. Of do you find yourself with less?

Farmerbob1 and snowwy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Been almost 1 1/2 years now.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  4. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I was doing decently well until the lovely engine rebuild + 33 days stuck in a hotel at the end of last year.

When I bought the truck I had 20k cash in the bank, and no outstanding debt.

As of today I have about 10k cash in the bank and the truck is about half paid off.

So. Over a 1 year time frame I am down in cash on hand.

In the last year I have had an engine rebuild, several engine leakfixes, a clutch replacement, and bought a full set of drives and a pair of steers. I have also had two oil changes in the transmission and both differentials because I had that work done before 500k miles, and was required to do it again after the aftermarket warranty went live. A full set of batteries, a new inverter, and a decent chunk of money to have the inverter circuit de-tarded so the power to the inverters can actually be disconnected manually. Oil change, filters, lube, etc every @20k miles. New cab marker lights above the windshield, and a new windshield.

Lots of other little things too.

A lot of these things are artifacts of how Crete deferred on interval maintenance when it was a company truck.

What's even better is that I haven't been home since February, so I haven't even seen my tax returns yet, though I got most of my money back due to expenses and perdiem.

My guesstimate is that I made about 20k less last year as an o/o than I did the year before as a company driver. Most of that is explained by an engine rebuild and the associated hotel stay.

The numbers seem to indicate that if I had bought a new truck, I would have made more money.

I need to look at what the payoff is on the truck currently. After the leak fixes a few months back and the new clutch last month, the maintenance account is not going to be very robust right now.

Once the truck payment goes away, income should improve. The maintenance costs for the last 1.5 years has been enormous, and will hopefully be very abnormal moving forward.

5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    I appreciate your honesty.

Midwest Trucker and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I didn't create this thread to toot my own horn :D.

That said, for a first year in business, I don't think I did too badly.

That Q4 2019 was a real ##### though.

7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    It’s not how much you gross it’s how much you keep ......:)

8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    It’s all realistic of how things go. I had years of no major repairs, but last year, same thing. Clutch, Overhaul, extras and I’m not done yet. Still need kingpins, fifth wheel, front spring bushings.Clutch fan. Im out 30k or more including downtime,Most of it financed with credit cards, for now. I have paid off a lot, over the years. So it goes. You took a big hit with the overhaul, while still having a payment. A lot of Guys throw in the towel, the fact you made it through, I’d call it a success.

dwells40, tommymonza and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  9. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    As was said I appreciate your honesty. Unfortunately you have 10k less cash and have a truck worth 20k that you’ve put what... 40k into plus what you’ve paid on it and still owe?

Not saying you haven’t had a successful first year since you made it clear it was your plan and path. I’m just saying if you continue on the path you’ll have proven everyone right that your treading water and the arms are tiring big time. You’ll be on your back before you know it.

10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    I don't agree with you at all.
    Anyone who has done this more than a couple of years knows that there's good years and bad years.
    Last year I put $3k in the truck.
    The year before it was $15k in a different truck.
    Currently, I'm up to about $5k this year between brakes and tires.

I think it's a lot like skipping rope, you just gotta know when to jump.

11. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I definitely do not plan on staying with the current business model forever.

After putting so much money into the truck, jumping out of it would be foolish unless something extremely expensive comes up.

Even if I lose the transmission, the Eaton 10 speed manual is pretty cheap to repair, I have heard.

What that means is that rather than selling the truck after paying it off, I will be looking to change out the fixed position 5th wheel with an adjustable one, and having an APU installed.

At some point I will need to get Hazmat certs so I can lease my truck to Landstar.

Crete is a better starting point for o/o's than most from what I have seen, but they are not the long term plan.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.