Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    No, and apparently neither did he. I have been putting off getting one for years now. Might break down and get one now.

Rideandrepair and dwells40 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Left Oklahoma City this morning, 37 degrees and raining with 20+ mph gusts.

Shutting down in Amarillo Texas after 4.5 hours driving on roads that would have been fine... If OK and TX had the equipment, knowledge, and people to treat the roads properly.

This is the TA in Amarillo right now.

16037311725832783839859769208539.jpg

I am shutting down early. Roads are not safe. Saw 20 or so wrecks between Oklahoma City and Amarillo.

DUNE-T, JonJon78, Rugerfan and 5 others Thank this.
  4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    We had a doors of a wreck this morning.

The roads were dry except for that one spot had about a 30ft by 20ft of ice for some reason.

Farmerbob1 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Yeah. I40 maintenance in OK and TX was spotty and poorly sanded, with no brine or salt at all as far as I could see. Just a spattering of sand on some of the bad spots.

I hope they have salt or brine and use it tonight. Otherwise tomorrow is likely to be another crappy day at 45 miles per hour with flashers on.

Eldiablo and Itsbrokeagain Thank this.
  6. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    The thing that really has me annoyed is that I thought that by routing from Joliet, IL to Victorville, CA through Amarillo, TX, I could avoid annoying weather.

Who knew Amarillo, TX would have worse roads than Vail, CO?

JonJon78 and Opus Thank this.
  7. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    So, you want to know how a pack of peanuts nearly cost me my truck?

Sure, I'll spill.

I was northbound on I5 after entering Oregon the other day, and started a six mile steep grade. About a third of the way down, when thinks started to get steeper, I could tell my jakes were not working properly. By the time I was able to pull safely to the side of the road and stop, smoke was pouring out from my brakes on my drives.

I finally figured out what happened while I waited for the brakes to cool. My selector for Jake level was in low, not high...

I never run my jakes at low, and the switch is not visible behind the steering wheel when I am driving. It took me a minute after stopping and checking for actual fire to remember there was a jake power selector, and check it.

Earlier that day, I bought a pack of peanuts and stuck it behind my soda to hold it in place as I left the fuel island to park for lunch. I normally put stuff like that in the change tray, but I had some string cheese in that spot.

Apparently the bag of peanuts pushed the jake selector from high to low.

So, a bag of peanuts could easily have cost me my truck.

I was able to get to the roadside fast enough to avoid cracking or melting anything, but it was close. A LOT of smoke, and it kept smoking for several minutes as it cooled. I even paid for a real mechanic to do a brake/tire/hub check to be sure I missed nothing.

Details. Details. Details.

8. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I've lost count of how many guys I've seen over the years pulled over at the bottom of that grade with their trailer brakes smoking or fully engulfed in flames.

Heavy loads on a 6%, 6 mile grade are nothing to mess with.

Cat sdp and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  9. LumbraX

LumbraX Medium Load Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    Almost 2 years of following this thread and nothing..... jump ship bro. You honestly can’t believe your luck and revenue (hardly talked about) is normal

Farmerbob1 and lynchy Thank this.
  10. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I don't believe anyone ever told me it would be easy.

11. LumbraX

LumbraX Medium Load Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    It’s not easy for anyone bro. Difference for some other people are they stand a chance. They caught this parabolic run up of freight rate prices while you were on the struggle bus chasing miles. I guess some people can’t be helped and just make excuses though. Whatever though. Peace

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.