Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I strongly suspect the data is available, but I simply have not asked the right questions. I will see about that tomorrow, because it certainly would not hurt to know fuel costs per gallon per stop, even If i do not need to know it to track overall costs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I have appreciated most of the advice which has been provided by people who have been civil. That does not mean I am required to act immediately on it.

I will never ask for any thread to be closed. Ever.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Okay. Good luck to you.

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    All we're asking for is your price per gallon at whatever truck stops you are using..... my card is good for small chains kwik trip Sapp speedway ambest etc..... nastc guys here have the whole ta/p network and lots of small stops as well.... I'm sure there's folks here who use pfj and get a huge discount and can say if your cost is in line with their's....thats all.... wouldn't you be aggravated if you were getting .20 off cash when another option may be to get your own nastc card and get perhaps an average of .40 or more off cash price? With fuel as the largest expense and the options at hand to minimize cost per gallon, even for 1 truck accounts,.... that will keep way more dollars in your pocket than mounting a separate fuel tank for apu fuel... for example..

We're trying to help you :/

basedinMN_, fordconvert and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    What’s your total fuel cost as a % of gross revenue...?

If it more than 30% best of luck to you......

7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Going off 4858÷12047 = .403
    .403÷1.30 = 31%

Trying to do the math backwards..

May be more complicated, I don't recall if he pays plates or insurance, 2290, yada yada yada....

8. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    In reality, how could you act immediately on any of the underlying advice you're receiving? You are essentially vested for the near future, aren't you? Didn't you put down like 12k dollars on that truck? Are you allowed to take the truck anywhere you want before it's paid off?

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I mentioned this earlier in the thread. Let me try to rephrase. You are paying 100% of the fuel chooses. Fsc does nor lower fuel cost. Fsc is an additional line item revenue. It is NOT a reimbursement for fuel. Yes it is meant to offset the cost of fuel but its extremely important that you track your revenue and expenses correctly. And the correct way according to the irs and every accountant worth a darn is that it is line item revenue, no different than many other line items such as detention, layover, tarp, or other accessories pay items.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  10. iraqralph43

iraqralph43 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Maybe I'm wrong....but looks like you were better off financially...as a company driver..than what your doing now

tucker Thanks this.
  11. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    so true. He's making the same as a company driver would and if he stays an Owner OP at Crete in 6 years he'll still be driving the same truck while you'll have went through 2 brand new ones in that time.

@Farmerbob1 , what's your truck governed at?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.