Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    To some degree I you are correct, but I also need to consider ongoing maintenance expenses. Keeping the truck because the engine has been rebuilt is something to think about, but the transmission and both differentials are factory units, and never serviced. The clutch has also been replaced. The one box DPF system is at about 220k since replacement, but that replacement was under warrantee. I'll need filters cleaned on the one box soon.

I have also been fortunate with electronics. Several major electronic components were replaced under warranty, but since I bought the truck, electrical issues have not been significant, other than my elective decision to add a disconnect switch into the inverter power circuit.

I'll be happy to get a decent chunk in the bank, without forcing myself to repay that engine rebuild.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I owe about 19k on the truck
    I have 18k in my maintenance accounts that can be used to pay for the truck.
    I have 25k in available credit
    Cash is @ 2k right now, not going to touch my cash to pay down the truck, been paying down credit cards after lots of bills and too much downtime a few months back.

After the next payment on the truck, on the 23rd of this month, I'll be pulling the trigger on paying off the truck with the maintenance accounts.

Cat sdp, dwells40, BeHereNow97 and 3 others Thank this.
  4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I'd feel like sitting on a needle with that little cash on hand, unless your maintenance account can be liquidated into cash instantly at your will. Last week, I paid a road service guy $1250 to fix the carrier bearing at a rest area. I was lucky he was willing to work out in the cold. Otherwise, it would have cost me a towing - another $1000. The available credit is only available until it is not. I'd rather have some more cash reserves at the expense of having some debt...but that's not a long term solution either. Having the debt is not good at all, but I'd rather manage that and have more cash in the bank.

86scotty, James j, lynchy and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’d have to run it and keep making payments, along with paying a little extra on principle and credit cards.keeping the $18k as a safety net.when all is paid, or close to it, think about selling or trading.Unless you just want out, then it would be as soon as financially possible. Trans and rears should be fine. They can last a long time, just have to change the oil around 750k, sooner if it looks bad. Nows your chance to make some money. I’m basically in the same boat with my old Truck. Not really worried about it. Beats having a $50- $80k debt for equipment. Good solid Truck, worth more than you owe. New engine. Don’t assume another mechanical disaster. Just normal maintenance. Trans or a rear goes bad. Worst case $5000 repair. You’ve got maintenance fund covered. Should be relaxed and confident at this point. Turn key.

6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Rear ends are $2k each plus $500 labor, tranny is under $4k plus $1k labor and maybe another $1k for a new clutch again. These things can last over 1.5mil miles, don't worry about them.
    IMO this truck gonna make you money now for the next five years.

Farmerbob1 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    If I would lease on another o/o, I would totally work with someone like you with a rebuilt truck vs someone else who just bought an used truck with no engine history.
    Seriously, I don't see a reason to sell or get a new one at this point

8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I hate credit cards and debt too but I would only feel comfortable with having enough reserves first. Maybe his maintenance account is like that...accessible at any time that the truck needs to be worked on.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’m guessing the maintenance account is easily available. Last time I checked in, he was down to 10k. In just a little time, he’s up to 18k. That’s great. On the right track, I’d say.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  10. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    My credit is solid. I'd pretty much have to lose my truck/license to lose the credit, in which case I wouldn't need the credit for the truck. I see where you are coming from though.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  11. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Yes, in the Crete o/o program the mandatory maintenance account can be used for any major expense (or to pay off the truck). They don't like you nickle and diming them to death with little stuff, but they have not said no to me on two occasions when I preferred to use maintenance account money for minor expenses rather than pay the shop myself. It's simply a matter of calling Crete, telling them where you are, and what is being done. They then get together with the shop and set up a Crete PO for the work being done, and Crete pays the PO from the maint account.

Cat sdp, TallJoe and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.