Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Yes, I can understand that, but helping me does not necessarily need to include insulting me.

I have stated that the fuel price per gallon is something I did not have immediate access to.

I have stated that I will be checking today (Monday) to see if/how I can get access to that data. Crete certainly maintains it somewhere, or they would not be able to process IFTA.

Failing that, I can simply start keeping receipts for a week to compare receipts to settlement fuel charges.

I do know what my fuel costs are. I do not need to know the price per gallon of every purchase to know the cost of fuel per mile I drive, on average.

Would that information be useful? Yes, I agree it would. I should be questioning the fuel discount that I have been told about by Crete. I should be verifying it.

I will be doing so today, like I have said a couple times already.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    As of last week, overall @40 CPM for fuel. @ 1.34 CPM for gross revenue. Right at 30%.

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  4. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I could put in some effort to try and get it refinanced elsewhere. I have been considering doing that anyway, for a better rate.

Scooter Jones Thanks this.
  5. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    No, not yet. I would have to spend 41k per year on maintenance to make less money as an o/o. While that is certainly possible that expenses can get that high, I have been driving this truck 250k miles as a company driver, and am confident that it is not simply going to fall apart on me next week.

That's not to say it won't, but every action has risks.

6. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Where have I said that I am making the same as an o/o that I was making as a company driver? I haven't been drunk since New Years, 1999, and I would have had to have been drunk to say that, and not remember it.

The truck is governed at 67.

7. iraqralph43

iraqralph43 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    I was also thinking.....no $2500 per year profit share...no 3 weeks paid vacation...health insurance way more expensive than company driver...truck repairs out of his pocket not Crete..truck is basically worn out..when finally paid for...but I do wish him well..and hope it works out for him

Farmerbob1 and tucker Thank this.
  8. Broke Down 69

Broke Down 69 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    Guy, you should know your fuel costs BEFORE you even get to the pump. You should be able to work out your fuel costs before you take a load. Polite? This is me being polite. You don't want to know what I, and every other real O/O is thinking to ourselves. Good luck Meat, you're going to need it.

Farmerbob1 and DieselDrivinDaddy Thank this.
  9. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Worth a try.

Broke Down 69 Thanks this.
  10. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    There is a lot to be said for that.

A lot of folks who venture into the owner operator field don't think or run it like a business.

I put up a pretty detailed line item list to demonstrate a lot of the costs associated with running a business. One lease operator told me I was "fear mongering."

However, if you don't run your one man operation like a business, you're most often just buying yourself a job without the benefits, at best. At worst, by assuming 100% of the liability, it can be disastrous.

11. 88 series vet

88 series vet Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2015
    rock hill sc
    Iam new myself but one of the biggest red flags i see is the word GUARANTEE, i dont care what a company says but no one can guarantee 3000 miles a week. To many variables too base on that.

I know you are on a dedicated route, but how long till they rip it from you and put company trucks on it. I seen companies do that too lps especially when the contract rates go up. Why give you the money when thats more they can collect

fordconvert Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.