Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I could have, but the problem is that the idle timer is part of the opti-idle system. If I turn off the idle timer completely, I also disable opti-idle.

Not doing that on a DPF equipped truck. My filters would be #### in a week of idling.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I have two credit cards with limits over 10k that I can use for maintenance if needed. I am willing to take a risk that they will need to be used, rather than be guaranteed to pay interest on a truck loan for an extra year.

I am also expecting between six and nine thousand dollars in tax refunds once I gather all my 2020 tax crap and send it to the accountant.

Rideandrepair and dwells40 Thank this.
  4. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I have intentionally left my lights on half a dozen times in several years driving this truck.

Yes, it is more wear and tear on the batteries, but I will happily put wear on my batteries to avoid cold starting the engine at -10F.

5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    My yard neighbor who is leased to PAM, expects to get the same amount in refund. His jaw dropped when I told him that instead of getting a refund, I get to pay at least $25k each year.
    He is an old red neck American guy and thought that all immigrants get special care and don't have to pay taxes, IRP fees and all that stuff. I think he can't comprehend that he makes less money driving a 3 years old KW leased to a big company vs me with old Volvo and no name trucking company.
    Some people are so ignorant and uneducated, it's not even funny

6. ready2truck

ready2truck Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    Who does your taxes?

7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    An accountant

8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I would not turn the truck off in that cold. I keep it idling at less than 20F - over the weekend, if I know that I have delivery on Monday but if it is a pick up for a load that is not too exciting, I'd take chances. But on the road at -26 F like yesterday in Northern Wisconsin ... shutting off is suicidal. No auxiliary system will guarantee you the restart of the engine. The old school rule is that you don't shut off the diesel engine in extreme colds.

9. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    That is a feature I will definitely be looking for in a new truck.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. ready2truck

ready2truck Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    I ask because 25k is a whole lot to be paying year after year (assuming that's for one truck). Before I pay that much in taxes I'd have a shipping container full of tires, a building to park my truck in, and a new stainless steel reefer.
    Is that an accountant that specializes in o/o?

11. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    It's not for one truck, I got couple. Yes, an accountant that does taxes for well over 500 truckers

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.