From one repair to another repair...
I hope you are still able to make some money in between the repair episodes.
The equipment safety is a must. There are, however, non safety related issues that perhaps don't require immediate action. For instance, if I see the 'check engine' light I don't rush to any nearest shop...if I did, I'd be much poorer than I am. I just look up the code and try to make an assessment if that's a real or false alarm. Most of the time, it does not require immediate action or it simply becomes an inactive fault. Also, I have ABC/TCS light on every now and then (common Volvo problem)and every time it ends up being some wire or sensor. I fix it, then it is good for a few months and it still pops up sooner or later, especially when it is wet. When it dries out it disappears. Sometimes when I look for a bad wire, I can't find any. Sometimes, even if there is a heavy rain, I don't have those lights on at all....Some of these things are hard to fix or explain.
Another example, I had an error of crankcase pressure too high. I replaced the filter and the sensor and it was good for a few weeks only but then the same engine light and the same code came back. I decided to ignore it and run like that. After a few days running like that I discovered that the hose from the engine block to the crankcase filter separator was raptured. I only replaced the hose and the problem disappeared. It's been 3 months since then without that code. Why the heck did it disappear, I only replaced the hose...the old hose did not look like it was jammed or anything like that?
I am not implying that is all right to run a sloppy truck or neglect the maintenance.
I guess what I am trying to say is that at some point when a truck has its age and mileage, it is hard not to compromise with running it while there are some trivial ' to fix' things. Of course, it is everyone's call to decide if they can run it like that and tolerate/recognize seriousness level of engine warnings or decide how long they can wait. At least for the time before you find someone who actually does know how to fix it.
Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.
Page 234 of 246
My goal is to have all major service performed while on hometime. That doesn't always work, but it's the plan.
I was out 70-ish days this past trip. Had to get my steers replaced, and decided to have torque bars redone and three axle alignment on the road since the steers needed doing anyway.
Everything else that could wait, did wait, though I will admit I tried to get DPF filters replaced during a 34, and THAT was a learning experience.
Oil, filters, lube, new shocks all around, new ABS sensor/cable assembly, DPF filters, and electronics/wiring troubleshooting waited until hometime.
My plan is to return to the road on the 22nd. The way this shop is dragging on and on and being very inefficient makes me think it might be a little later than that, and will be my last time at this shop.
Update on the truck.
The shop has replaced the suspension shocks. The cab shocks still have not arrived. The DPF filters have been replaced. A forced regen has been run.
The mechanic says the two bulging spots on the right steer ABS wiring was paint overspray from when the truck was originally painted.
After the DPF system was cleaned up, the truck is still throwing ABS system errors...
Tomorrow the techs are going to do some digging into the ABS system to see if they find a fault.
Needless to say, I am not getting back on the road tomorrow as I hoped.
Next post... Where I have decided to try to go next.
I picked up a DMV study guide for SC hazmat, and was planning to take the test before going on the road, so I could apply to Landstar.
Discovered the joys of the Patriot Act in regards to Hazmat certification.
It will be two weeks before I can even get an appointment to start the security clearance crap I have to get to qualify to even be considered for hazmat certification.
Screw that crap. Decided to simply apply to Schneider's o/o loadboard program instead.
So, this morning, I verified my truck meets their requirements, verified they are hiring from my area, and filled in an application on their website. They claim they will get back to me in 24 hours. We shall see.
If Schneider says yes, I will give Crete two weeks notice.
I will keep you all posted.
In short, I've been putting off leaving Crete for almost half a year now, waiting to pay off the truck and get my tax refund. Time to get off the fence. Even my patience is not infinite
Page 234 of 246