Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Indeed, and my next settlement is an excellent example of why financial reserves are important.

I took several days home time. Then I took a 680 mile load, followed by a 2000 mile load.

The problem being that I will not deliver the 2000 mile load until about 8 hours after the deadline for the upcoming settlement week.

So, a 680 mile load is going to have to pay all my fixed costs PLUS about 3/4 of the fuel for my 2000 mile load.

If I see a penny going into my personal account this Friday, I will be shocked.

Of course, that means the next settlement might get close to 6000 miles if I get another cross-country load to get back to my typical loop/lane.

iraqralph43 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Do you think it's more convenient for Crete to have you log in as an employee, or do you think they're wanting to treat you like an employee without the tax and benefit expenses?

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  4. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I do not believe the people responsible for implementing IT applications are the ones defining company policy.

5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I do wish you well!

It's true, everyone's path is not the same.

The guy I used to work for, driving and in the office, really didn't want anything to do with trucking, even though his grandfather & dad worked their way into running a trucking business in a round about way.

He's never even driven a commercial truck and doesn't even have a cdl. Yet, his father wanted to retire and asked him to buy the business almost 20 years ago. He did and now has a 150 truck fleet and is VERY wealthy.

His path into the trucking industry was very unique indeed.

I do aplogize if I came off as critical.

However, after witnessing several guys, who lease operated under the same guy's authority, crash and burn business wise, I get real edgy when it comes to folks wading into the pool, especially at $1.30 +/- a mile.

The biggest reason they do crash and burn is because they overestimate the amount of revenue they'll bring in and secondly, they underestimate the cost of repairs and downtime.

Once they get behind the 8 ball, they can't spin the squirrel cage fast enough at cheap rates to ever catch up.

However, there is some comfort in knowing one can always go back to company driving though ;-)

6. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    It's the people defining company policy who I would be questioning.

The latest person I know who is still trying to finish out their lease program just spent almost a month down from a failed oil pump. If the company would have been on the ball with the recall campaign, this wouldn't have been an issue. For being an "owner", you would think someone would have advised them that "their" truck needed to get into the shop for that.

This is also another reason why I would suggest getting a small generator setup instead of an APU. If you decide that you're done early, you don't get to take your toys and go home. If you bought your truck from an outside source it would be a different story. About the only saving grace of a lease program is that they're pretty easy to just walk away from. Investing further into it will make it that much harder to do if you come to that road.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I cant even figure out if this is an owner operator or a lease purchase. I thought he said he put 12k down, which indicates normal financing, but in other posts he makes comments like the payment coming out of his settlement like a lease purchase.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Broke Down 69 and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  8. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Crete takes money out of my settlements each week, and they go into an escrow account. Each month, Crete cuts the bank a check for me.

I have a bill of sale. The truck is mine.

Tug Toy and Cat sdp Thank this.
  9. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I do wish you the best......

Tug Toy, spyder7723 and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Do you have a copy of the title with your name on it listing the bank as a lienholder? If not...

Broke Down 69 Thanks this.
  11. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    15500074507145221530437796509138.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality, but that was the loan document I sent to the accountant so they could enter it into my tax records for depreciation. I did not image the entire document, as I dont have a way to edit out my home address on the smartphone.

However, you can see that this is not a lease agreement.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Tug Toy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.