Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    So. Finally got my old truck over to Ritchie Bros. a bit East of Columbus, signed for the new truck, loaded all my old stuff in the new truck, and....

Went to shop for odds and ends + groceries, and when I get back, the truck is utterly dead.

I had turned off the disconnect switch instead of simply leaving the truck because I noticed I had left every single light in the truck on, and didn't feel like climbing back into the sleeper to turn them all off.

Either the disconnect switch is dead, the disconnect controller relay is dead, or there is a catastrophic failure in the power or electronics systems.

My money's on a dead relay.

Better to happen in the yard than out on the road, or at a customer's.

So, I am in a hotel on the company's dime now.

Jarhed1964 and TallJoe Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    LOL. You could create another thread "My guide of hotels during break downs"
    I personally like Best Westerns. Sometimes, I go for a night not the sleep in the idling truck.

4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    @Farmerbob1. Good luck on your new chapter. Although, honestly, I was hoping for a climax in you thread when you'd leave Crete and sail out to open waters.
    On the other hand, the truck broke down too much and too often...now you can cash it out on best terms ever. You still should have enough time and power in you to do it again. Maybe next time, you'll buy a truck without any strings attached to the seller and resume the journey.

5. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I doubt I will go o/o again, but if I do, that particular adventure will need to wait until my mother retires and decides where she wants to live.

TallJoe and dwells40 Thank this.
  6. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    So, first night in the new truck. I wake up at 0500 and the truck is 85F in the sleeper.

Fiddled with opti-idle and could not find anything wrong.

Called breakdown, and was advised of known Freightliner design flaw.

The temperature control in the cab should be set to max cold to let the truck cool as fast as possible BUT if you turn the temperature control in the sleeper to max cold, the opti-idle will activate only one time for temperature, then not again unless the block temperature or battery level get low.

So, if you hear anyone talking about their new-ish Freightliner with opti idle failing to keep the sleeper cool, make sure they know to NOT turn the sleeper temperature to max cold. One click off max works. I have verified this.

7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Well Bob, I think you owe it to the community to tells us what you learned. The good, the bad, the ugly.
    Take your time.
    What I've learned is that owning your own truck is a 24/7/365 proposition, Every bolt, every tire, every brake, every whatever, belongs to YOU. And if you can't handle the strain, you shouldn't own a truck.
    I've got about 8 more months to pay on my truck, (my second one). After it's payed off, I'm selling it and going company.
    I'm 61 and I don't need the hassle any more.

dwells40, Farmerbob1 and MiFamilyGuy Thank this.
  8. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I am planning a post like that, and I could write it decently right now, but want to think about it a day or two more.

No better way to think about it than driving.

I have 684 miles to final from where I stopped this morning, so I will have a full, mostly uninterrupted day of driving today, and a short leg to drop tomorrow AM.

I might post a wrap-up tonight. I will still report on the sale of the truck, and dealing with Ritchie Brothers as well, since selling trucks is part of being an o/o.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  9. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Bob, you've been probably the most honest poster here. Best of luck.

RStewart, kemosabi49, Tug Toy and 4 others Thank this.
  10. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Well, I was planning on recapping my o/o time with Crete tonight, but I am too irritated to be fully rational right now.

My current truck has some sort of many-faceted broken #### in it.

First night, truck completely dies except a couple lights.

Second night, I learn that Freightliner hired incompetent programmers to write climate control code, because the system is too retarded to work when turned to full cold.

Third night, bunk AC worked most of the night, then failed at around 0500.

Today as I am driving down the road, I notice my cab dome light is turning itself on and off. I need to drive until 2230 or so to make ontime delivery and not screw up my two preplans.

Park the truck near the receiver, and power cycle the unit using the cab power disconnect, go inside for 15 minutes or so, then return to the truck, turn it on, and the light show in the cab resumes.

Fortunately the lights in the sleeper are not poltergeisting, so I should sleep tonight.

Trying to decide how long to deal with this crap before I start making loud noises to get a different truck.

11. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Well, finally got a couple bits of reasonable help from Crete shop guys.

First one told me to pull my sleeper light control panel and check it for moisture. No luck. New Freightliner vents are not directly over the light control panel like old ones were.

Second tech told me that the newest year Freightliners had a known software issue that would cause the cab done light to turn off and on, that any Crete shop should be able to get their resident Freightliner tech to straighten it out.

In the meantime, I have 'fixed' the light with half a roll of electrical tape. I will hit the Mechanicsburg terminal tomorrow and hopefully have the lighting issue resolved Monday AM.

We shall see.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.