Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 7, 2019.

1. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    Copy is a flimsy white piece of paper. A title is a title and every vehicle has 1 and the person who really owns it (bank if financed) has it. A title is official fancy decoration water mark state seal thick paper and who knows what else.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Do you need the copy to get insurance or registration? In Ohio we get an official copy caked a certificate of title, similar to a cheap photo copy but stamped with the state seal so 'legal'. In Florida we get an actual title with the lienholder listed. One exception to that is small trailers under x weight like my boat trailer, the registration is also the proof of ownership.

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I don't have the title to my car. It's financed.

I never saw the title to my last car either. It got traded for current car.

Don't have the title to my motorcycle either.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  5. skytrash

skytrash Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    denton , tx
    My experience only. I’m in a lease purchase but through a small leasing co. I started with a brand new truck at a company that also paid cpm like Crete. I ran my butt off and made ok money.

After a year I decided revenue wasn’t good enough and I was wearing my truck out quickly. Difference between me and you, I can take my truck anywhere, so I went to a percentage based company.

The next year I made about the same money but on half the miles. And I took a lot of time off

My oil changes at $500 a pop are cut in half so my maintenance costs are down.

I also took my truck to Freightliner and had ecm parameters set to my liking including setting the governor to what I want.

The leasing company told me it was my truck I could do what I wanted to it.

My point is, you can make it doing what your doing but it’s hard. You have to know your fuel cost. Mine averages .35 cpm and I usually drive fast. Get the free let’s truck app and put in every fuel receipt and it will keep track of it.

Good luck

basedinMN_ and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    It probably depends on the state. In MI you receive a title to your name with a loan holder name stamped on it somewhere. When you pay the vehicle off, bank sends you a letter stating, that loan has been paid off.

snowwy and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  7. Broke Down 69

Broke Down 69 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    That's more or less how it works in NC as well. You get the title, with a lien holder listed. When it's paid off the lien holder sends you a copy of the lien marked "Paid In Full" which you then submit to the State and they issue a new, free and clear title. A bit convoluted but that's the process. Unless you just pay for the vehicle in question outright, then you just get the Title.

8. basedinMN_

basedinMN_ Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    St Paul, MN
    I'm missing something. Is the point of this who-holds-the-title sidebar to determine if OP is a "real" O/O, or is it to determine how easily he could get his truck out from Crete?

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  9. basedinMN_

basedinMN_ Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    St Paul, MN
    BTW I have just read all 26 pages of this thread and it's my favorite one to date. I'm pulling like hell for you, farmer.

Brownyjr36, flying_gage and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  10. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Thanks!

11. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Well, just submitted this week's settlement. Due to the 2000 mile load that I finished the morning after the last settlement's end date, this week's settlement will be a bit less than 5000 miles.

I was hoping for more, but i lost a half day driving on the first day of the week, due to terrible timing of the live load.

Then I lost another half day due to weather. After making delivery, and taking a 34, I lost another 1/4 of a day to a live load, followed by getting stuck in an enormous pothole, then parking on I84 due to a wreck, followed by waiting for a chain requirement on I84 to expire. Oh, and my DPF system also was threatening to derate my truck, so I had to stop to do a manual DPF cleanup cycle.

Last week's settlement was for 600 miles or so. So the average of these two weeks was around 2800 miles per week.

Pretty low miles. Can't wait for winter to finally get over with, so I can run more efficiently.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Reason for edit: Autocorrect is the Devil
    tucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.