Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    See my last post. I responded to another person and answered your question before I knew you asked it.

tucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Got some work done over home time. The Dyno showed no engine issues. The shop foreman advised me that a dyno will not indicate a problem during the early stages of a truck approaching the need of a valve adjustment.

I will have that valve adjustment done the next time it gets serviced. Not going to wait for failure.

They also chased down a couple wiring harness issues that were generating odd, symptomless engine fault indications on the dash during wet weather.

I have not yet seen the bill, to see what they classified as warrantee work. The truck is still within warrantee for another 25k miles.

Long FLD, Rideandrepair and gokiddogo Thank this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Just checking in on you. Glad to see you’re not getting discouraged.Keep at it. Maybe try to stay out of the shop,unless absolutely necessary.Run it and try to add to maintenance fund, so you can hopefully pay it off early. Your hard work will dictate your success.No matter how much $$ you make, there’s always going to be critics.The main thing is understanding where your at and why.keep up the good work. It will pay off. Never trust a repair shop!

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    For instance, if your fuel mileage is good and Trucks running good, I’d wait till around 700 k to run a valve adjustment, despite what the Experts say, that’s just my opinion, sure to be argued by others.

6. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Why would you wait till the engine is OUT of warranty to do the valve adjustment? If there is something wrong under the valve cover I’d want to know before hand.

I have an ISX. The valve cover comes off every year.

Oxbow, RSB34, Farmerbob1 and 5 others Thank this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I'm not sure there is a valve adjustment anymore. I was told by dealer I think it was , hydraulic valves.

It's been years since any truck I drove had one. I've been in this current w900 with cat 3 years and it's never had. I put 300k on the last 2 FLs and no adjustment. Those trucks were new though.

Farmerbob1 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I did my first valve adjustment at about 400,000 km (250,000 miles). Mechanic said only minor adjustments. And I had a look inside. Looked new to my untrained eye. He only charged me maybe 1 or 2 hours I don't remember but it is nothing crazy. Cheap for peace of mind. (As far as valve adjustments go lol..)

Oxbow, Farmerbob1 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Cummins says first one at 500k miles.

That’s great but if the cam goes flat and you wait till then it will be out of warranty.

I stand by taking the valve cover off once a year. Not expensive or time consuming. Catching a problem early is priceless.

Now if a monkey screws up the overhead while he is in ther he could cost you a burnt valve so you need to be selective who you use.

Oxbow, adayrider, Farmerbob1 and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I stand corrected. I guess my advice only applies to my own experience with my old 12.7 Detroit.Based on mine and many others I’ve known. Currently have well over a million on the overhead. Performed @ 100 k after OH. Next one will be @ OH then @ 75-100 k.

11. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Well, the total ran a bit over $1000 for three days in the shop.

Things I paid for:

A service
    Oil sample
    Dyno
    Wiring harness repair to tail lights.
    Half of an engine oil change.

Things I did not pay for:

Isolation and repair of a DEF system issue that was misreporting the state of the filters to the truck computer. (Warrantee)

Half of an oil change.

I originally asked them to also look at a possible recurring leak around the marker lights, and some Espar heater error messages. I pulled those jobs from the work queue as I was already on home time an extra day letting them work on the truck. Will need to have those attended to later.

The oil change was an accident. The service writer miscopied my original request somehow, adding an oil change to the A service and oil sample. It was pretty clear in what i wrote and gave to them that there was zero request for an oil change.

I am not afraid to pay something for useful work done, and that oil and filter had 25k miles in it. The shop was apologetic, and willing to admit their error. We ended up splitting the difference on the cost.

tucker and gokiddogo Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.