Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Yeah on a drive. You can’t patch a steer as far as I’m aware. Maybe I’m wrong.

I’d actually keep both tires and patch the one, but he’s talking about getting rid of both tires if I’m not mistaken? The steer with no hole is certainly put behind the cab. It can be used anywhere.

Rideandrepair and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
  4. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    My truck is a Crete standard OTR sleeper truck. No tire storage rack.

If I had my own trailer with a tire rack, I would have kept both tires for use on the trailer.

As it was, both steer casings were reusable, so they gave me a bit of credit for each.

Still cost way too #### much. 1239 for two new Bridgestone steers, balanced, with new stems. I could not use the Crete tire discount without also using the money from the truck payoff account (the company calls it a maintenance account) and that account will not be touched until it can pay off the balance of my truck loan.

The goal is to pay off the loan in 1 year from signing. Don't think I will manage that, but it still might happen.

Rideandrepair and JonJon78 Thank this.
  5. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I have an air hose. I definitely need to get a plug kit. Keep forgetting.

6. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I thought the same. Loves, however, stated clearly that they absolutely would not repair any steer tire. Period. Even though the tech said that he agreed that it probably could be repaired. Just not by them.

Maybe I should have gone inside and bought a patch kit. Unfortunately, I have discovered that every single tool sold by the big truck stops is garbage made of pot metal. I have broken a bunch of hand tools in the last few years driving, and I really do not make many repairs.

I need to poke around at one of the big chrome shops and see about getting a patch kit that won't fall apart the first time I use it.

7. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Blackjack makes a good kit, but no more than you’ll use it you can get by with any of the T handle kits.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Just catching up a bit. Looks like you’re doing just as well as anyone. Good numbers. I’m sure they’re plenty of others making 2 or 3 x that, always that way. Time always bears the truth though. Good Luck, looks like you’re right about where you expected to be, with the #s. That says a lot, hard to do.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  9. spearwarrior

spearwarrior Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2019
    I really appreciate the information in this thread. I'm currently a 6 month rookie looking to buy a my used Flatbed truck from Swift stay as oo soy them until I have 8 months and can move to a better paying company. Numbers don't lie you proving it can be done with good work ethic and a calculator

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  10. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    The customers and people on the office end matter too. Note that I am on a large drop and hook account. I can only run the miles I run because the account has lots of loads, and the office team keeps me moving.

I honestly suggest you stay a company driver for at least a full year. Preferably two. Make your mistakes as an employee so someone else will pay for them. I stayed a company driver for three years before going o/o and I am definitely not done making mistakes yet.

11. Commander1

Commander1 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2017
    It’s legal to patch a steer tire. Though, as you found out, most places won’t due to liability reasons. Besides, they would much rather sell a new tire(s) anyway, much larger profit margin for them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.