Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    I would ask the dealer if they counterbore your block so the liners will seat properly to prevent from blowing head gaskets. I’m more so a Cummins guy but my liner height on my ISX is supposed to be set to 0.14 according to what I’ve heard. They put shims down where they counterbore to make the liners sit at the proper height and measure with a dial indicator.

I don’t know much about those dd15’s.
    I always thought those are pretty trucks, I like the red color. Yes, basic, mine is pretty basic, a cascadia with a bucket passenger seat and not nearly as gorgeous as the newer ones but it’s paid off!

Tug Toy, dwells40 and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    I agree totally.
    The only thing you haven't replaced is the clutch and the air compressor. You've got at least 4 years or more left in that truck. Pay it off next year and put $2000 a month into savings just for a new truck, and you'll be almost half way there by the time you go to buy.
    Start establishing good credit at a local bank and you'll be able to get a really decent loan.
    Best of luck, Bob

Tug Toy, dwells40 and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  4. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I already have good credit - that's why I am even considering buying a new truck. However, it never hurts to have a hefty down payment for a hefty loan.

Tug Toy and dwells40 Thank this.
  5. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Update.

Dallas Freightliner kept fighting to get the liner and cylinder and labor for them for about two hours after I asked them to stop. They are almost as irritated at TruNorth's dishonesty as I am. No worries. I can't be upset at someone for wanting what's right, and a couple hours is meaningless at this point.

I think I have convinced them that we simply need to move forward, and accept that TruNorth is not going to live up to their warrantee to any extent beyond what they have already committed to in the authorization. I am supposed to be getting a quote from them tonight or tomorrow AM. Considering it is @1830 local now, I'm betting on tomorrow AM.

Tug Toy, dwells40 and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  6. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    You staying at the Taji Mahal across from the J?
    Nice folks. Friendly neighbors.

Farmerbob1, INRUT and Tug Toy Thank this.
  7. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    Freightliner won't do the top end work and put it on a bad cylinder per Detroit. The warranty company owes you a cylinder kit and Freightliner knows it.
    Hang in there Bob.

Tug Toy and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  8. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    This is gonna sound half ### but it's what I would do.
    The only reason you lost that liner was because of the head gasket. Just replace that cylinder. The other ones are fine. This engine has relatively low miles. Roll the truck for 2 or three hundred more miles if you want too.
    Spending unnecessary money to prevent problems for a future buyer on a truck you don't intend to keep is waste.
    You have clearly stated you don't intend to keep the truck. Unless you plan on keeping the truck for the Long haul you will never get your money back replacing things that don't need replaced yet.
    These trucks are close to being disposable.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  9. INRUT

INRUT Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2016
    I hope not, I live around Dallas & don’t like driving through that area.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  10. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Eh, no, I go a little farther out of my way to stay somewhere decent when I'm not in the truck. I already live mostly in a little box, I don't want to stay in a only-slightly-larger little box.

I stay in La Quintas as much as possible. They are a good balance between comfy and cheap, with the added benefit of an actual breakfast free every morning, not just orange juice and bagels.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  11. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Oh no, that cylinder is getting replaced no matter what. It's just a matter of who pays for it.

Looks like that's going to be me.

The question now is whether or not Freightliner will write a second ticket for the rest of the work required to do a full rebuild on the engine. Like others have said, I'm pretty much there already, might as well try and get her done.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.