Taking the plunge. My journey as an O/O.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    #### shame. Lots of entertainment in that part of the world.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    They will absolutely write a second ticket. What I'm saying is why replace the other 5 if your not going to keep the truck. They are good for well over a million miles. I understand it makes sense. Be interesting to see what they quote you.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  4. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    It's looking like I will be dropping about a third of my maintenance account on the truck to pay for the service the warrantee company won't. That's if I don't get the whole rebuild done. If I do get the full rebuild done, it will likely eat up most of the maintenance account, possibly all, and start into my primary credit card.

I do not want to keep the truck, but I'm not desperate to get out of it either. My primary vehicle at home is a 1998 Ford Ranger that I bought new - I don't mind holding onto a vehicle.

I *want* to get a truck with features I *want.*

5. The Biggest Dawg

The Biggest Dawg Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2019
    [Location Not Found]
    This is why buying a used truck is so challenging. Gotta find that old guy thats retiring unexpectedly not the guy that has a new used truck parked next to the one he is trying to sell you.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    The old engines easily went a million miles. Not many new tech engines are reaching that.

fordconvert, Farmerbob1 and Eldiablo Thank this.
  7. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    The cylinders will. They don't carbon pack like a Cummins. It's the one box, fuel pump and head on Dd15 as far as I can tell. The other 5 cylinders are fine. He probably never even had to add oil between changes.

8. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Accurate. The only time the truck has ever required oil was when there was an external leak on the passenger side of the engine where an oil line connection leaked past an o-ring. It did that three times. The first two fixes were done by Crete and only lasted about 50k miles. The third fix was done by Freightliner, and it's been good ever since.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  9. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Update.

The full rebuild will be done on top of the warrantee work. The total cost to me will pretty much wipe out my dedicated maintenance account, which I've never used for service before. That money was supposed to help pay off the truck, but, hey, needs must.

That's going to push back my full ownership of the truck by at least nine months.

So... I'm going to have to take a look at my plans for the future and see what needs adjustment. I was planning on staying with Crete until the truck was paid off in March or so, but if I stay with Crete until the truck is paid off now, it will likely be late this coming year.

spearwarrior, dwells40 and 062 Thank this.
  10. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Can you buy the truck from Crete for the pay off amount? Shouldn’t be hard to get an outside loan for $20k or less for that truck?

Farmerbob1 and dwells40 Thank this.
  11. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Refinancing the truck wouldn't be a problem. However there would still be a loan.

My intent was to pay off the truck to give myself more security to learn during the next stage of my o/o career, either with a paid-off truck, or a new truck with factory warranty.

Risk management was/is the reason, not any sort of contract agreement with Crete.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.