Tarping

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Musashi, Jan 12, 2018.

1. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Some rate cons show how much extra if any a shipper is paying to tarp, anywhere from $50-$150
    However I look at how much overall freight is paying, if its cheap freight I sure wont tarp it. If its good paying freight I pay myself for tarping out of overall value of the load.

Musashi Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Musashi

Musashi Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2017
    There’s a lumber company in Nor Cal that has several locations. Most never make you tarp unless receiver demands, but one particular location is anal and always stamps Madatory Tarp on the BOL and won’t give you your paperwork until tarped. So what would you do then? Can an O/O renegotiate right then and there and demand something extra? Do you see this type of info on the load board beforehand?

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    My info tells what the load is, and the dims, what the load pays and tarp money. Lumber loads are what those people who ran out to California for $2/mile pull. Cheap and heavy. Cheap. Real cheap. They think, “he’ll pull it to get back east”, and the crap usually pays $.80/mile. They’re right. Those $2/mile guys will pull $.80/mile because it “pays for your fuel” and they need something to help them get out of California.

I’ve never understood that. 46k load for $.80 mile to pay for your fuel. Why not just stay east and run for $1.50/mile?

What normally happens is a travel agent will ask for my thoughts on a load. I will say whether or not I like it. If they want me to move it, they will ask me what I need to move it. I will give them a number. They will tell me that I am crazy and how much other drivers move that load for. I will tell them to call that driver. And some will try to insult me or tick me off or whatever. And I will tell them to have a good day and hang up. They will call me back and tell me that I am the only person that can do it and stroke my ego and promise to remember me and name their firstborn after me if I do them this small favor and I will tell them how nice they are, but I am going to hang up, and they will agree with what I want.

Now, I know that some of you are thinking, “ Hey, why not just be nice and do the load?”

If a desk jockey is groveling for you to take a load, something is wrong with the load. It’s a problem load and it’s going to Hell. As soon as you agree to pull it, they will forget all the promises made. You know what happens to nice people when they take a load to Hell, don’t you? They are tormented forever and ever.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    DSK333, Paddlewagon, Musashi and 6 others Thank this.
  5. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    @TripleSix What's the going rate for a decent deck load these days? To the truck in USD. Just for interest sake. Nothing specialized, just general full trailer freight.

6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Depends on what it is, where it’s going, and how time you will have tied up with it. Refineries, power plants, nuke plants, military bases, and air ports can be aggravating. Nuke plants can take all freaking day with 1 truck, 1 crate.

You know, come to think of it, I haven’t pulled a full trailer general freight load in a long time.

sawmill and Zeviander Thank this.
  7. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    I may be able to help you with that question- If you'd like.

Zeviander Thanks this.
  8. Zeviander

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Yeah, sure. Anyone is welcome to give input. Just a general knowledge question. I've always been curious what a trailer load of lumber or billet steel might bring in.

9. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    We need to start from scratch.....
    The Term "Truckload" is broad- Lets start breaking this down heavily.

Rates Change constantly in a Spot Freight world- And Most Flat work is Spot.
    My Runs I do Weekly are From Chicago to the East Coast/Southeast and Midwest.

Here are some Honest to Goodness Numbers I Receive Billed to customers Directly- (No Middle 3pl involved)

Week Starting Jan 2nd to Current

Chicago to Baltimore,Md 700 miles $2460.00
    Chicago to Seekonk,Ma 994 miles $ 3355.00
    Chicago to Buffalo,Ny 500 miles $2100.00
    Chicago,to Detroit,Mi 290 miles $1,000.00
    Chicago to Trenton,Nj 780 miles $2740.00

These are honest,Unbloated Numbers of steel with a tarp and FSC Which is 24% USD of course

I run an out and back style operation- I DONT CHASE SPOT FREIGHT running irregular, like many members here do- I stay loyal to my outbound customers- Which,In Turn never allowed me to score the huge salaries.

Hope this helps.

DSK333, Musashi, Zeviander and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Zeviander

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Whoa, way more info than I was interested in but very good nonetheless. Thank you very much.

And wow, if my company is getting at least $3.00 a mile on our steel freight, I should be making more bank.

Musashi and stayinback Thank this.
  11. Musashi

Musashi Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Finally this conversation turns sexy!!! Thanks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.