tell the truth!!!

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by sdiva101, Feb 18, 2008.

1. myminpins

myminpins Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    An awful lot of companies these days have a VERY high driver turnover. There are very few that don't. Therefore, yes, that's what's happening - trainers don't have a lot of experience.

If you do your research and ask lots of questions, you can still find good companies out there but it takes more effort, that's for sure. :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rain1111

rain1111 Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Russell Pa
    kinda sounds like these companies that let you become a trainer after only a year need their own slot on this board,,but i can't figure out what to call it..:biggrin_2554:

4. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    "Inexperienced Trainers"
    or.. better yet:

"Instant Trainers"

just my 4 cents

5. trucking_on_through

trucking_on_through Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA

Personally, I'd go with "Potty Trainers"... :biggrin_2556:

6. sdiva101

sdiva101 Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2008
    crestview,fl
    I hope we can find a solution...it's been very discouraging reading all these negative posts.I thought i'd come here for info.But I seem to be getting all negative feedback.I have to wonder if trucking is such a great indystry after all.Thanks for your kind words

7. sdiva101

sdiva101 Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2008
    crestview,fl
    That's just rude.another reason I don't see the brotherhood of truckers my hubby talks about.

8. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    How long before his lease is up? Tell to apply with Crete, Boyd Brothers , Quality Carriers, and Southeastern Freight. I have done the research the myself and know a lot of companies that hire regional, and locally. If I can be any help in searching, let me know.

Kinghunter

9. sdiva101

sdiva101 Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2008
    crestview,fl
    Hi ya King..thanks for the offer.He signed a 2 year lease in September.I"m not sure how it works.I think I remember him telling me he can buy out of it for $500 or$600.Which he has to keep in his time off account at all times.He'll be home tomorrow and I will be getting a copy of the lease agreement and going over it with a fine tooth comb.

10. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    This is another industry "inside secret/joke" Lease operator as a trainer.

2 for the price of one special, like you see at all the fireworks stands.

New (and old) drivers get sucked into the lease program with ideas of being "free" and making tons of money. Then, after they realize they got screwed. The company offers them a tube of KY, commonly refered to as "training" to make the bent over part of this job, a bit less painful.

Same result, it just looks less painful.

When you sign a lease the truck OWNS you. Not the other way around. And you will run when it tells you too. Not when you want to.

A special comment for all our lease operators on the forum. You ARE NOT an owner op, many of you will never be an owner op. Get over yourself TODAY. And you'll lead a less stressful life.

While hope is a wonderful thing, It neither feeds the children, nor does it pay the bills.

Here is the pecking order for truck drivers:

#1 Owner Ops
    #2 Union Drivers
    #3 Company teams, non-union
    #4 Students (gone solo) minimum experience
    #5 Non-union experienced company drivers
    #6 Lease Operators

Depending on the company, Owner ops could be #4 in the pecking order. But NEVER mistake yourself as a lease op, with being an owner/op. You own NOTHING, therefore you are BOUND to that company. Where as a O/O can tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine.

11. trucking_on_through

trucking_on_through Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry if you were insulted... was not specifically directed toward your husband as much as it was intended as a half joke/half commentary on the general state of companies that have the arrogance to think that putting any driver in the position of "trainer" with only 6 months to 1 year of experience is going to generally give them a positive outcome. You yourself, even question this practice in the reply quoted below.
    While your husband may be the exception, and may become a spectacular trainer, the exception proves the rule. The fact is that much of the low reputation I have seen posted on this board about one of the worst companies, Swift; is based on the low level of training that the company gives their drivers. Specifically at Swift, you only need 6 months experience to become a trainer... do you not think this has any relevance as to the quality of their results?

Given that the best paying jobs out there, (tankers, car haulers, for example) require a majority of the time, 2 - 3 years verifiable OTR experience, why should being a trainer require anything less? Many people on this board have stated that the CDL schools only get you to the point of passing the DMV CDL test... your real learning of this profession is with your trainer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.