Tesla semi “on the track”

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Accidental Trucker, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Because I'm tired of "technology-king" musk getting all sorts of credit for ideas he's only latched onto instead of originating. He's got all these crazy ideas...that were come up with 100 years ago and most were deemed unfeasible and continue to be so.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    The only difference between all those people "100 years ago" to what Elon is doing right now, is that he is actually bringing the technology onto a commercial level.

Yeah, someone might have landed a rocket in the past but Elon has launched and landed the same rocket 9 times now.

Yeah, there were electric vehicles built many years ago, yet Elon has made it the normal for many people.

He is doing this to better humanity unlike other big money guys.

4. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Holy ####, don't tell me you actually believe this.

5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    It took Elon to build the cars and the charging stations. So people have the ability to drive cross country with electric cars if they want. Now it's becoming more possible for more people. Just like the semi might be possible for cross country driving one day.

Screenshot_20210317-105204.png

6. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Just wait until a crack head sees that battery, he'll be making shake and bake meth for days

7. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    OK so all the truck stops will convert to charging stations.
    What happens when swift comes in to park ?
    From what I see the plan is to put three drivers in a truck and run 24/7 not park it for 12 hours a night to charge.
    Now I see FMCSA gave a waiver so you don't even need a license .

8. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    The guy is worth 100 billion dollars. Now, I can’t even begin to relate to that, but even at my micro wealth level, once I was “comfortable” and didn’t need to work anymore, more money just isn’t much of a motivator.

Musk is simply driven by the need to prove that it can be done. We had electric cars, commercial ones, for two decades, going absolutely nowhere, until Musk just goes ahead and did it. Without Musk moving the goalposts, we’d still be laughing at the Honda Insight....

NASA couldn’t even get astronauts to the space station for under 250 million a head...so musk just goes ahead and just does it for less than a tenth, while putting up a satellite based internet system — which had been tried for decades (hughesnet, anyone?) with thoroughly lousy operational and financial results.

Why would anyone do that if they have enough money they could literally heat their house by burning $20’s and never run out? Not for more money.

Doealex Thanks this.
  9. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Light Load Member

May 5, 2019
    San Diego
    The Hydrogen fuel cell truck sounds like the best combination as it has an electric drive with long range hydrogen refueling. With self driving trucks a 600 mile range would be seen as limiting the value of an expensive investment that has the ability to run none stop coast to coast the proposed refueling for hydrogen will take no longer than a diesel since computers don't need to pee,eat or sleep, battery recharging is likely to take too much time. Now for a truck driven by us the 8 hour sleep requirement is plenty of time for a charge if you run out of hours near a truck stop that has parking and a open charging station but since trucks have been around 100 years and we still don't have parking in truck stops for all the trucks that want to recharge a driver I see tired disappointed drivers parked on an off ramp calling for a generator to come recharge there dead battery because it was too cold and the battery just lost to much capacity to the cold and the driver needed the rest of the batteries to stay warm.
    I have also read long explanations of how the electric grid cannot handle the expected amount of amp draw to recharge the coming demand, now they are not saying the infrastructure can't be built but it is not currently being even designed and planned on a big enough scale.
    Then we have the problem of electric generation we are getting rid of nuclear, coal,natural gas in favor of solar and wind but of course these don't work well at night when most people want to recharge, seems like they want a shortage, another reason hydrogen may be the best option.
    Now for the fun a self driving car or truck will not have an attitude when you want to change lanes turn on the blinker and the computer will make room for you to get over or merge, they will also come to the end of an on ramp with enough speed to merge won't that be nice.
    You will also be able to push self driving vehicles around just hit the blinker and crowd into the lane you want they will do anything to avoid an accident with no attitude.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  10. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
  11. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Hackers and real life video game.
    I agree then who pays for the carnage
    Owner of equipment, insurance, trk mfg , software company yep to many legal hurdles not to mention some states don’t have the power grid to handle the huge influx of charging. Not to mention they don’t have any way to recycle the batteries. Decades before this becomes a viable option. Gives me comfort I don’t need to worry about a overgrown golf cart just yet. How much rare weight do you think you could haul?. 20k if your lucky

Badmon Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.