The Driver Shortage Myth

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Thane, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Cheezy_smile

Cheezy_smile Medium Load Member

May 23, 2017
    With the way things are in OTR segment of trucking companies will not attract younger people to do this job. And I don’t blame people for not wanting to do that job. You can make more money doing local LTL stuff or ger a job/training in some industries. Who wants to deal with crappy shippers and receivers. There will always be shortage of GOOD drivers. The ones that care about themselves and act professional.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eldiablo

Eldiablo Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2016

Idk what company this is but it’s a rare one, that’s for sure. I haven’t seen one yet that cares about it’s drivers. They are all full of hot air. I just left a place that let me walk right out the door without so much as “is there anything that would change your mind”. Now I might not be as great as some of you but I did show up everyday, can pass a drug test anytime, and got along with all my stops. I called in sick one time in a year and half. I volunteered for extra work. I would try and make suggestions to make things go smoother. Yet I’m just a low rent job hopper. I can’t take but so much crap.

tlalokay and adayrider Thank this.
  4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    There are a lot of companies like ours around, they're just real hard to find. They don't make a lot of noise, they just go about their business. The trucks usually aren't the fanciest or the fastest but you won't seem them broke down by the side of the road very often either.
    They're usually not hiring because hardly anybody ever leaves. Most of the drivers have had enough bad jobs to appreciate a good one when they find it. When an opening does come up the company usually has it's pick of several good applicants and they're almost always somebody that they already know or they're a relative of a current employee.
    We had a couple of guys quit five years ago and go to work for Wal-Mart and I can't blame them for that. We pay pretty good and our benefit package is outstanding but we'll never be able to match WM. We lost two guys this year to retirement. One guy was fired for stealing tires. He's in jail. Other than that there hasn't been much turnover.
    I don't mean to make our outfit sound like some kind of picture-perfect happy land where everything is all cream and roses. Just like everywhere else we have our bad days, our screwups, our failures to communicate and our misunderstandings. What we try to do...and the way it's worked fo almost thirty years here...is to recognize things for what they are and realize that people are just human beings and prone to doing all the dumb things that human beings do.
    A mistake, small accident, or a moment's lapse of focus that turns into a screwup is also a learning experience.
    Look around for small outfits, and by small I mean less than fifty trucks. They're usually local or regional and if they've been in business for ten or more years they might be worth checking into. If you see a lot of older guys working there...and staying there...that's a good sign.
    You won't see ads in CL or the newspaper or signs on the back of their trucks advertising openings. Apply in person, check back occasionally, get to know some of their drivers if you have a chance. They usually hire local people.
    We've never had to advertise for drivers and most of the outfits like ours are the same.
    The good jobs and the good companies are out there. It just takes some real effort to find them.

Lepton1, randomname, re3data and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Thane

Thane Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2017
    There's a shortage of good drivers. But there's also a shortage of GOOD jobs. If an outfit is always wanting drivers, it's because they aren't offering anything of value that will keep drivers on or treating the drivers they have like garbage. Or, probably, both. I have no sympathy for whiny company insiders who claim there's a driver shortage. Good drivers don't quit good jobs.

mustang190 and TheyCallMeDave Thank this.
  6. Jmbapp

Jmbapp Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2018
    I feel the exact same way. I watch a couple of 50k paper weights until a driver is properly qualified. Saves money over losing customers and tearing up equipment.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    We've been lucky and never had to actually park one for more than a couple of days for lack of a driver. Some of our retirees get bored so I can usually round up somebody trust worthy to fill in.
    But yeah, you're right...better to have it sitting than to have it do damage that you might not be able to repair.

8. metallifreak10

metallifreak10 Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Wishing I was in Alaska
    There is a shortage to a degree. At my local company, where I’ve been for 6 years, we’ve always had a problem keeping drivers. Partially because Pay for awhile wasn’t great. Some of our drivers were making less than $40k per year (but they only worked 35-40 hours per week).

Finally, starting in 2015, we kept getting raises. Got a raise in April 2016, July 2017, January 2018, July 2018. I make just over $1300 gross for 45 hours per week. The driver who loads next to me makes $1100 per week and complains about the pay, but he averages 39 hours per week.

So, in 2012 the lowest paid routes were $750 per week for 35-40 hours. Now it’s about $1000 for 35-40 hours, $1400 for 50 hours or so, used to be about $1100 for routes around 50 hours. If you average the hourly, it’s actually a decent wage.

Either way, Driver turnover isn’t as bad as it was in 2012 when I started, but we still are constantly hiring. Still offer a $2000 sign on bonus as well, used to be $4000. I guess what I’m saying is even with paying a more respectable wage, it’s hard to keep people. What makes it difficult is that we are not the only company raising pay. There is a lot of competition out there, which is a great thing.

Bottom line is there has to at least be a small shortage, or local companies that pay decently wouldn’t have a hard time keeping drivers.

9. Eldiablo

Eldiablo Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2016
    What a coincidence. A place I applied to a few months ago and I turned down because of the pay called today and asked me what would it take to consider working for them. I’m not interested now I think I found a decent place.

10. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
  11. CraigInReston

CraigInReston Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Trucker Shortage... more like Decent Carrier Shortage. Think about the big picture. In the end, we are all to blame! We as consumers, want to go to Wal-Mart and find the best deal available. We want to pay ( example: pair of jeans) the same price we paid last year, and the year before etc. These huge box stores have international buying power, from manufactures in 3rd world 'slave-condition' countries throughout the world. We as consumers don't care how the jeans were made, in what work conditions, or who was exploited in the process. We just want to pay the same price.
    Now take this reality and apply it to transportation. Just like the huge box stores, trucking companies have adopted the same business practice. In order to remain competitive and retain/expand their customer base, carriers are forced to stream-line their operating costs. Well... that's where this discussion begins.
    Because carriers are forced to cut costs, our wages are first on the chopping-block. As these carriers lose more and more 'veteran' drivers to unattractive wages, they are forced to look at immigration to fill the void.
    The carriers now turn to the State and Federal Trucking Associations, to relay their requirements to the Federal Government. Now the Feds have justification to allow 'unskilled labor' to immigrate to the country, through employer sponsored work-visa programs.
    It's a "win-win" situation!!! The Feds have their new voters/taxpayers (immigrants), the Carriers have their cheap labor (reducing operating costs), and the Consumers have savings at the box store.
    And it's only going to get worse!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.