The journey begins - purchased a truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by blairandgretchen, Dec 10, 2014.

1. ben5398

ben5398 Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2017
    A couple pages back you mentioned this thread having possibly run its course. I dont agree; though you have met most of your early goals and are showing good success it would be nice to know what your next goals are and how you meet them, how things are changing now that you have a truck payment and so on. Got to get working. Keep it rolling.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. hellpatrol

hellpatrol Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2013
    I re-read the entire thread. Great information here and thank you very much for posting all the trials and tribulations of becoming a O/O. Having bought my own truck since reading this before and my hat's off to you for taking the plunge. I'm signed onto a contractor for fedex so my exposure is limited. It takes real stones to go full hog into O/O with the truck and all the details that come with it.
    My plan of attack is to ease into it. Get the truck, make sure she's good to go, then I was going to sign onto a company that did a lot of the paperwork for me. After that I was planning to go it with Mercer,landstar etc...
    I think the most daunting thing is all the gov't hoops you have to jump through just to get the truck on the road, and in what order you have to do it. Your thread has been invaluable in showing the way through this labyrinth of issues. I'm still working on getting my funds where I want them. then I'll decide what I want to do. My biggest problem is one most people do have to deal with and that's where to put the rig. Being in the NE, land here in NY is at a premium and I don't have any where I can to put it.
    I know that what you do has become somewhat routine and talking about it on this thread isn't at the top of your list anymore, but I really enjoy hearing about how what challenges you face and how they are overcome.
    In your experience with LS, how are the loads around the NE area?? Just curious.
    Thank you for sharing with us.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    stwik, Lepton1 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  4. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Just another mundane everyday boring load, now he will working hard for something to top this load with. Maybe a repeat.

Got a taste big money(sort of) and now he's hooked.

Problem is the CFO will expect this every week.

5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I'm kinda glad I started the thread now - when I go back and re-read, it helps me see where fear without logical basis, flawed thought pattern and misused focus lay. My memory has diminished and my sense of time has always been warped, ( perhaps a trait of the trucker ), therefore it's a good diary, if nothing else.

The CFO and I have discussed the new year, plans will be a little more cemented after the annual mash-up at the CPA's office.

Historically, she has never counted unhatched eggs - whilst I will personally take the rooster down to the fertility clinic for testing, arrange a candle-lit dinner with the plumpest looking chook, and prepare spreadsheets and diagrams based on a full basket of eggs.

As I think I've laid out before - she takes 12.5% of 1099 gross each week and sets it aside in an account for 'End Of Year Taxes' - untouched through the year. This has around $22k in it now, and by my egg counting, will be sufficient to pay off the truck, ASSUMING that we don't owe any taxes - which I'm pretty sure we won't, as there was 20k dumped on paying off the trailer, and the truck purchase at $46k to begin depreciation on, as well as the payments on the truck and 30k+ in maintenance costs -( high because of the truck change during the year) -and whatever depreciation was left over from the previous year.

So (in my mind at least) 2018 will commence the 4th year of business, business assets will be freehold and we'll finally be in the category of "Ummm, so - errrr, Where do we hide all this cash from the IRS?" - which will follow the previous years of frugality in a nervous, initially petrified state of self employment on one income.

Not unlike the previous 10 years of working like dogs as a company team and eliminating debt.

So - as far as GOALS go, we don't really set them.

I've floated the offer to a good friend to buy a truck and run him with LS - but I have a feeling he's fearful of the change - I don't blame him - but if he calls me on my bluff I'll do it. I understand where he's at in his life and career, the hesitancy. A large percentage of our offer came from sparing him the toll of what we know he goes through - we left him at ODFL, we lasted 7 years and change, he's going on 12+ years, at 60. I now know the business model will work - not smashing out huge $$, but he's a guy I can absolutely trust - if he can believe in himself.

There's a Kiwi bloke coming over to intrepidly break new ground, I'm sure he'll be trying to stretch our comfortability envelopes in different directions - we'll see what fires he lights and molds he breaks first.

There's a copy and paste makeover of the Pete from @Old Man 's book , but it's doing fine now - so, as I see it as a tool - it can wait for another year or so. This could easily chew $40k - but if it's looking OK now and in good health, and I don't attend truck shows - then it'll hold.

The CFO would like some $$ spent at the house. There's been a few projects that have been put off for a while, that I think should be addressed - after 3 years of careful money management and unpaid back office work, she deserves it. We might just have to give up a little more of the "End of Year Tax" account to Uncle Sam next year.

stwik, double yellow, Terry270 and 9 others Thank this.
  6. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Well -I must say, you have to be awfully bored or be stuck in Wyoming to re-read the entire thread!

I like the idea of easing into it. One can say "Fortune favors the bold" - whilst "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread" both counter, yet the latter seems to be the norm in this industry ( read countless "I bought a truck - now what do I do" threads" )
    as testimony to that.

I also like 'getting my funds where I want them' - that suited our nervous disposition upon entry.

@Ruthless can probably help quash the fear (which I hear often), of "Where to park the truck". Relationships come into play here, but I believe you can, at some reasonable trade or expense, find somewhere to operate a 1-3 truck business anywhere. Look at Chicago - plenty of operators there for example. You see trucks parked in the oddest of places, with some arrangements made of course.

I spend little time in the NE, I only know that in platform, in my experience, you only go so far as PA, then leave the rest to @Ruthless .

Appreciate you.

stwik, ShooterK2, Terry270 and 8 others Thank this.
  7. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Yes - hate to say it, but this one went so smoothly, that I'm lining up a repeat. Plus - Johnny is a good travelling companion. Miss our radio back and forth already.

And I'm sure the CFO will be pleased at the check next week. Well, I can only hope.

Terry270, Feedman, sawmill and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Road Train Member

Mar 6, 2017
    PA
    I've seen enough other SE people get blindsided at the end of the year that it's always on my mind. It's funny, at the end of the year, I never FEELS like you made THAT much, but the IRS never accounts for feelings lol. Hey, if you ever get to that point, you can always start farming. The Schedule F can make a lot of profit vanish - at first anyway. I'm going into year 12 of SE, and I'm not sure what is scarier - that I'll never see my work "finally pay off" or that this will be the year it DOES pay off, and uncle Sam will crashing on the couch demanding a big allowance.

9. Liquidforce

Liquidforce Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Savannah GA
    Those #### kiwis. T minus 15 days.

Lepton1 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  10. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    Look what appeared in the Sawmill yard today. IMG_20180117_162827.jpg

It's about time we get to put a face to the name.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.